Trade question on rates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finding more and more clients that change the goal posts.

I quote, they agree :rolleyes: and then move the goalposts :cry:

I have now added a line to the base of quotes saying "All works is quoted based on normal working hours Mon- Fri 08:00-->17:00"

When a client phones up, offers a green light for go and then drops the bombshell "Could you work evenings or over the weekend" I always say yes, but the labour rate will have to reflect the outside work hours pattern.

They then get quite antsy, last week I lost some work because I 'dared' to suggest a rate increase for a job wanted on a Sunday.

So the question is, am I being a greedy so and so for wanting more money for working non working times?

I add 10% for 17:00 ->20:00 Mon-Fri
I add 20% for working later Mon-Fri and the same for Saturday / Sunday

How do you guys work it, other than telling the client that you only work a normal week, normal core hours?

Sponsored Links
Here is a photo of an old estimate of mine...
excuse its hugeness...wanted it to come out well...

SESTsCs.jpg

What E.O. & E.

I'm sure I should know, and thanks for your answer. Is it rude to ask what premium (as a %%%) you add for outside core business hours work.

Some of my friends won't get out of bed for under 30% for a Saturday and 50% for a Sunday :rolleyes:

I don't get out of bed for less than a thousand pounds.

Mind you, I do spend a lot of time in bed.

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
I'm finding more and more clients that change the goal posts.

I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast. You have to think of it from a client's point of view (unpalatable though that may sometimes be). I have often worked stupid hours and done the 'while you're here' jobs for nowt in the past.

Factor into your prices the fact that a two-hour job may easily take four, that your weekends are not necessarily your own and that a happy client of a rubbish job may well refer you to lots of more lucrative opportunities.

Then, when you have a solid client base, don't need to advertise and can virtually name your price, you can knock back the jobs you don't want. :D

Saturday time and a half.

Sunday double time.

If they don't like it, never mind.

RF Lighting said:
Saturday time and a half.

Sunday double time.

If they don't like it, never mind.
Agree rf 24/7 culture isnt for me love my weekends to much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back