Traditional Bargeboard - Underlying issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

I have an issue with a traditional barge board rotting at the top. I saw a paint bubble pressed it and it was all Papier mache underneath. I investigated further and it seems the rot is all in a straight line. The felt behind is all dry and I can't see any damage other than the old nails and screws that were holding the capping board and barge board together. The end of the felt was between them and pierced by the screws that had all rusted.

I was hoping to temporarily repair the board with a new piece of treated timber which I would seal, sand and paint in positions. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I should say I couldnt see any capping on the end of the roof. Was trying to find a temporary solution or if there is a change to the roof to stop this happening long term.

IMG_20200204_085850826.jpg IMG_20200204_085838764.jpg IMG_20200204_085805373.jpg IMG_20200204_085740967.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_085850826.jpg
    IMG_20200204_085850826.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 236
Sponsored Links
the water can enter anywhere up hill
it can run under a surface until it hits something like a nail or baton then get directed to where its doing the damage

it looks as though a filler piece was used above the top edge of the barge board.
best to remove the barge board and the filler piece and the capping board - then post pics of the verge.
you might find that all three are rotted to some degree.

the slates are a bit jumbled - cocked up, missing and cracked. plus two different kinds of slate have been used.
all probably due to the resulting carelessness when the Velux was fitted?
any signs of water damage showing inside the lean-to?

As Bob say's it all looks a bit rough, pull it off and see what's going on is the proper solution.

the water can enter anywhere up hill
it can run under a surface until it hits something like a nail or baton then get directed to where its doing the damage

I have found some tears above where old nails were driven through the boards. Think that's been the problem with this section. Luckily everything else seems dry but the felt might need some patching.

it looks as though a filler piece was used above the top edge of the barge board.
best to remove the barge board and the filler piece and the capping board - then post pics of the verge.
you might find that all three are rotted to some degree.

the slates are a bit jumbled - cocked up, missing and cracked. plus two different kinds of slate have been used.
all probably due to the resulting carelessness when the Velux was fitted?
any signs of water damage showing inside the lean-to?

I think you are spot on. Most of the work done to this house before I bought it was done poorly to varying degrees. Underfloor heating that was never tested before they laid the floor ie. Never worked..a cooker run off a plug where the oven melted and blew all the electrics.....the list goes on. We have put right a lot of the issues. I think this is one to add to the list. Will add it to the list for the firm who are doing my main roof and gable ends at height as I'm not confident of what I will find if i take it all off in mid-February in the Peak District. I not that confident I could put things right so will leave it to the pros.

When I lifted the capping board to look for damage on lower half of the end every thing was dry underneath and there is no internal signs of water/damp. The verge was just felt up to between the boards and runs down into the gutter. It's all a bit close together. You can feel/move the slates if you move the felt too much.

IMG_20200204_085752900.jpg

There is a length of long tile just wedged under the capping but not anywhere else up the length of the capping board. Could that be trapping moisture?

Listing up the capping board it feels dry underneath as I can get my hand in the space. I've had another look this morning and it's feels dry underneath the felt.

Should they have used scews when they replaced the capping board? It was as just a mate who did it. Would you not be better using galvanised nails or something else.

fwiw: i advise you to do what i originally suggested - i advise you from a pretty long professional experience in dealing with water damage issues.

I'm getting someone out to do further investigation and hopefully the work as it's beyond my skillset.

Cheers for the shouts.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back