Traffic lights on M6 Motorway LOL!!!

Sponsored Links
But this isn't new - there have been lights on at least one of the entrance slips on (I'm pretty sure the M6, but could be M5) for years...

Moz said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4646172.stm

The technique, known as "ramp metering",

what a nightmare at rush hours

Quite the contrary. It frees traffic. There are some temporary ones on the M6 near Birmingham and they come on when traffic gets heavy. I have experienced before and after the M6 ones at rush hour and can vouch it is much better with them on.

"Traffic joins the motorway safely without causing braking by vehicles on the motorway itself.

Of course, the same effect could be achieved by banning cars that suck and fining drivers who think it is acceptable to amble down a sliproad and then pull out onto the carriageway without checking if it is clear or that their speed matches that of traffic. :mad: Some people seem to think that they have right of way from a sliproad and everyone else has to move out of their way.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
Quite the contrary. It frees traffic. There are some temporary ones on the M6 near Birmingham and they come on when traffic gets heavy. I have experienced before and after the M6 ones at rush hour and can vouch it is much better with them on.
The highways agency are a quango who are no doubt more interested in what appears better, whilst spending as little of our road taxes as possible. I doubt they consider the tailbacks onto the surrounding A roads, caused by stationary sliproads, into account.

We must remember the test slip at B'ham is quite a lengthy one and there is room for the traffic to queue on a red light.

The one I'm thinking of, if on the M6, is not near Birmingham, and if it was a trial, it was a bl**dy long one.

From 2002 to 2004 I regularly drove from London to Blackpool, via M40/M42/M5/M6, and I can remember lights on at least one on-ramp (possibly only Southbound??) for a lot of that time, if not all of it.

The reason I sound so vague is that I didn't think it remarkable - it is obviously so long since I first saw them that I can't remember when, and that I've seen them so many times that I can't remember where they are, or if there's only one instance. They're just one of those things.

I really don't understand the way the story makes it seem like it's a new idea...

PS - it's not me misinterpreting a light on an adjacent road, because on one occasion, coming home in very heavy traffic one one stretch of the M6 or M5, I was hopping off at each junction and back on again, to make a bit of extra progress, and at one junction I got caught by lights on the entrance ramp...

if its of any use we have a set on the off ramp on the M1

although to be fair they are really for the roundabout at the bottom, but vehicles que up the off ramp

also there are some actually on the motorway at the other luton M1 jnc

you get off the motor way at jnc 10, to umpteen sets of lights, then you actualy leave the motorway at jnc 10A about 1/2 a mile away, so although you could say i am being picky, there are TL on the motorway between jucntion 10 & 10A

both places have had them for years

paulbrown said:
The highways agency are a quango
Not so. The HA is a government agency that is empowered by the relevant Secretary of State. You appear not to understand how government and the civil service in this country work.

paulbrown said:
...who are no doubt more interested in what appears better
No doubt? In any words you're making it up as you go along.

paulbrown said:
...whilst spending as little of our road taxes as possible.
Crazy man say what? You would have it that they spend as much money as possible?

paulbrown said:
...I doubt they consider the tailbacks onto the surrounding A roads, caused by stationary sliproads, into account.
Again, when you don't know something, it's best to shut up.

paulbrown said:
We must remember the test slip at B'ham is quite a lengthy one and there is room for the traffic to queue on a red light.
Why must we remember it? If this type of temporary control eases congestion then it eases congestion - the idea that the jam is moved somewhere else is a non-sequitor and a fallacy.

The goverment and the civil service don't work, they turn up for the money, unless they are on pathetic TV shows that is,which is not the same.

Yes, they are only interested in appearances more often called spin.

I would prefer them to spend the taxes they take off the motorist on genuine and lasting solutions, not on temporary fixes.
Again, when you don't know something, it's best to shut up.
Why not practice what you preach then?
Why must we remember it? If this type of temporary control eases congestion then it eases congestion - the idea that the jam is moved somewhere else is a non-sequitor and a fallacy.
No, you are wrong again, temporary traffic control doesn't ease traffic congestion, it merely temporarily moves it elsewhere. Do you have any evidence to support your comment, which you stated as a fact, rather than an opinion?

The only true way of reducing congestion is either by building more roads or by improving the existing network. Even better still, would be a reduction in our dependance on roads in the first place. But then I suspect you may know this really, as it appears you are merely acting like the silly softus we all know. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

paulbrown said:
The goverment and the civil service don't work, they turn up for the money, unless they are on pathetic TV shows that is,which is not the same.
Just b*gger off and grow up, you childish t*at.

paulbrown said:
I would prefer them to spend the taxes they take off the motorist on genuine and lasting solutions, not on temporary fixes.
In which case you need to convince your MP to raise that issue in Parliament.

paulbrown said:
Why not practice what you preach then?
Childish moron.

paulbrown said:
No, you are wrong again.
I haven't been wrong yet, on this topic, so I can't be wrong again.

paulbrown said:
temporary traffic control doesn't ease traffic congestion, it merely temporarily moves it elsewhere.
True, unless it is of the category that doesn't do that.

paulbrown said:
Do you have any evidence to support your comment, which you stated as a fact, rather than an opinion?
It can't ever be wrong, or opinionated, or anything else except logical, to say "If <something does something> then <that thing does that thing>".

It's common sense. Clearly only sense that common, not universal, and definately, not shared by you. Until, one would suspect, you get a fair bit older and wiser.

paulbrown said:
The only true way of reducing congestion is either by building more roads or by improving the existing network. Even better still, would be a reduction in our dependance on roads in the first place.
That isn't the only way to ease congestion. Filtering, (or lack of it), tailgating, and lack of courtesy are all contributory factors, whose effects are reduced with good quality driver education.

As with a previous topic on which you went out on a mission to spout nonsense, I've said what I needed to, so I'm out of this one. Have your last say - there will be no reply from me.

As for anyone else, who might be interested in the subtle causes of congestion, you might like to take a look at the following web site:
http://www.traffic-simulation.de/

I didn't resort to bad language though did I? I am neither a T**t nor a moron. If you can't engage in sensible chat you should refrain from posting on a family forum.
That isn't the only way to ease congestion. Filtering, (or lack of it), tailgating, and lack of courtesy are all contributory factors, whose effects are reduced with good quality driver education.
Congestion is caused by too much traffic in one place.

You are again confused, bad driving habits result in accidents, which then leads to congestion, which is not the same.

You normally go away soon after being offensive, at what point will you be out of this one?

MOD

calm down people please

paulbrown said:
I didn't resort to bad language though did I? I am neither a T**t nor a moron. If you can't engage in sensible chat you should refrain from posting on a family forum.

You are again confused, bad driving habits result in accidents, which then leads to congestion, which is not the same.

You normally go away soon after being offensive, at what point will you be out of this one?

MOD

calm down people please

Excuse me MOD. I suspect you have put your comment against the wrong poster, could you please read who actually resorted to bad language and apportion the blame where it truly belongs. I have not at any point resorted to bad language.

MOD

i placed the comment on the last post
it is not a reflection on the poster :)

paulbrown said:
paulbrown said:

MOD

calm down people please

Excuse me MOD. I suspect you have put your comment against the wrong poster, could you please read who actually resorted to bad language and apportion the blame where it truly belongs. I have not at any point resorted to bad language.

MOD

i placed the comment on the last post
it is not a reflection on the poster
:)

But with respect MOD, you have put your comment in the wrong place. The offending part should be removed and the offender told about their behaviour, which is in clear breach of the forum rules. Anything less makes the rules pointless. The offender launched into an unprovoked and offensive tirade and should be told so by you, in the post concerned, not in my post, which he may not even read, he did said he is out of the thread so you should make it clear to other members who was at fault..

So let me get this right the traffic lights stop traffic joining the motorway, do they wait for a lull in the motorway traffic before turning green and allowing traffic on? otherwise there will still be congestion surely with traffic fighting to get onto the motorway?

Sponsored Links
Back