Fred Dibnah

Sponsored Links
He did smoke like his chimneys though, but yes, a good old rough diamond.

I'd love to see in Fred's house. For anyone with an interest in engineering or the old and interesting, it is probably a treasure trove.

I believe he had throat cancer, I wonder if it was the fags or the s***e from chimneys and steam engines.

There's not many characters like Fred left now, unfortunately we are all the losers for it.

Sponsored Links
He shall be missed by those of us who occasionally dream of a freshly painted yet greasy old steam engine, or a "form-with-function" Victorian building, bridges and museums all.

My sister knew little of Dibnah until this evening, but when she read about some of the things he had done she laughed at the thought of this knarly old badger building a pithead in his garden much to the annoyance of his neighbours (and boy did it annoy them!)Definitely the daddy of DIYers.

I hope no-one thinks I am being disrespectful when I say that it would be fitting if he is buried in a cast-iron coffin, with the lid rivetted on. Like John Wilkinson.

I hope no-one thinks I am being disrespectful when I say that it would be fitting if he is buried in a cast-iron coffin, with the lid rivetted on. Like John Wilkinson.

with fred inside saying my contrivences are making me happy :eek: :eek:

big-all said:

he would not be upset he was a mechanicly minded man he would be imptressed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: god bless him

with fred inside saying my contrivences are making me happy :eek: :eek:

david and julie said:
I'd love to see in Fred's house. For anyone with an interest in engineering or the old and interesting, it is probably a treasure trove.

I believe he had throat cancer, I wonder if it was the fags or the s***e from chimneys and steam engines.

There's not many characters like Fred left now, unfortunately we are all the losers for it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Dibnah's cancer was initially diagnosed as a digestive complaint, but a tumour was found after surgery. Stomach or bowel I believe.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3735795.stm
~~~~~~~~~~~
A very close relative of mine died from effects of bowel cancer ... due to an initial incorrect diagnosis from a Doc who was so sure of himself he did not recommend other opinion until 4 months later ... Unfortunately for a robust non drinking / smoking very fit patient this was bad advice, died 10 months after initial 'digestive complaint' from bowel cancer .... Be careful out there, there is no immunity - just luck !!

P

I assumed it was his throat because I read he cancelled an appearance due to a throat problem a while back. Must of been a separate illness, just that the piece also mentioned his cancer so I assumed thats what was wrong. :oops:

I don't think Fred would take offence at being buried in a cast coffin, I would think he would give a wry smile.

david and julie said:
I assumed it was his throat because I read he cancelled an appearance due to a throat problem a while back. Must of been a separate illness, just that the piece also mentioned his cancer so I assumed thats what was wrong. :oops:

I don't think Fred would take offence at being buried in a cast coffin, I would think he would give a wry smile.

I read it was throat cancer. Almost certainly linked to his liking of a good rough shag :D.

[quoteI read it was throat cancer. Almost certainly linked to his liking of a good rough shag :D.[/quote]

Wrong Posting - 69 was meant for somewhere else.

Truely a great character. I was only talking to my Uncle yesterday morning of Fred and his casual education of us masses and his shear enjoyment at the art of architecture and the 'ring of engineering.
I have always said the one good thing about someone's passing is the amount of memories it helps recall, undoutedly we will see a lot of re-runs of some of Freds finest. A nice bloke.

As a mark of respect to the great man passing, perhaps his house/yard/pithead in Radcliffe Road, Bolton should become some sort of working museum or monument to his engineering passion. Is the land and buildings listed? Have the National Trust become involved? FD was, after all, a National Treasure.

think youve got a good idea there chambs esf
but unfortunatly his missus or neibours may have something to say :cry: :cry: :cry:

chambsesf said:
As a mark of respect to the great man passing, perhaps his house/yard/pithead in Radcliffe Road, Bolton should become some sort of working museum or monument to his engineering passion. Is the land and buildings listed? Have the National Trust become involved? FD was, after all, a National Treasure.
I think one thing might appeal to his spirit, A spectacular demolition of the house :)

Sponsored Links
Back