Trailing edge dimmer and weird squeaky noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and a Happy New Year to One and All

I have fitted the dimmer below:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJDQP401S.html

This feeds 3x12V trannys and 3xMR16 lamps.
I bought the dimmer as going to change to LED lamps, thats once I have found some which give off a decent light.

Problem is when switched on there is a strange squeaky noise that comes from the trannys, this 'squeak' increases marginally when the lights are dimmed. The noise is not at all 'buzzy' like pylons or some dimmers would be. It is more like a squeaky brake noise on a bus.. The link above does actually recommend Telco branded trannys which I may have give a go.

But, what is actually occuring within the tranny to emit this noise?

And, would 230V LED lamps maybe be a better option as will avoid trannys then completely.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: This post does not require the anti downlight police to chip in with their two penneth. That is unless they have a constructive statement re the 'squeak' from which I and others may learn. Ta.

Sponsored Links
And, would 230V LED lamps maybe be a better option as will avoid trannys then completely.
A better option would be to install lights which are designed to light up rooms, rather than trying to do it with torches.

LV or ELV, LED/incandescent/CFL - makes no difference, as fiddling with things like that does nothing to address the fundamental problems with the MR16 format.

Dear Ban,

I would like to point out I am fully aware of the issues you raise so purposefully regarding recessed spotlighting. I am happy with the light emitted in quality, quantity, reach, lumen, spread, etc, etc, etc.... that is why I put the EDIT at the end of my post!!

And maybe I want a lighting effect that is designed not to light up rooms!! Though in this case, it's a 93x2900cm passageway and is frankly too bloody bright, hence the dimmer and proposed LED lamps! :eek:

I find some of your posts, along with several other members, educating and I like to learn. So please, if you could, tell me what this strange 'squeak' is! I am more curious other than anything else as to what is the process that makes this noise occur.

I may contact the dimmer manufacturers to see if they can elucidate, though I am sure they will fob me off with "buy our recommended trannys etc".

Regards.

Sponsored Links
So please, if you could, tell me what this strange 'squeak is.
I don't think BAS actual answers questions :?:
what I would do is get the trannys that are recommended for the dimmer, you may have non-dimmable trannys in place, so go with the manufacturers recommendations.

One possible reason for "squeaks" is that transformer is not properly matched to the load ( the lamps ) and is not operating in a stable way. Most generate a high frequency AC voltage which is too high a frequency for humans to hear when they are operating normally. If the transformer is operating abnormally ( as can happene with incorrect loading ) the frequency may be unstable and could then be dropping low enough to be heard as a "squeak".

Ditch the trannies if you're going for LED lamps.

Normal SMPS downlighter 'transformers' need a minimum load of 10 or 20 VA depending on the make so will not power ELV LED lamps anyway.

Thanks for replies.

I got the dimmer originally as it apparently works happily from 3W to 400W. But as RF points out if I use LED lamps then the trannys will be under-worked as they are 20-60va. Never thought about this aspect of it! :oops:

The trannys, which are dimmable, should not be currently under-worked with 50W lamps in though. Will keep them for another job sometime.

TTC, maybe its not the trannys at all but is tinnitus...... Used to listen to some hefty metal in my younger days! :LOL:

Thanks Bernard for reply; it makes sense that the tranny's are operating abnormally. The dimmer is completely silent, where normally they buzz a little, so the dimmer must be passing the 'buzzing' onto the the trannys and they are screaming out in pain!! Please note that I do not normally describe elec accessories in this way!

Any recommendations on 230V LED lamps that have a nice colour rendition and not to blue/stark when in use greatly appreciated. Had a little look on Amazon at customer reviews of various types but still undecided.

Thanks again.

Hi....What is the make of the trannys and also did you purchase the trannys and fittings at the same time as the dimmer?

I've used some. I think they were 6 watt warm white LED lamps made by kosnik or something like that. They were not as bright as a 50W halogen, maybe more like a 35W lamp, but still really impressive.

Hi....What is the make of the trannys and also did you purchase the trannys and fittings at the same time as the dimmer?

Hi Johnny, got fittings and trannys locally, think trannys are halotite; not defo. Got dimmer from TLC afterwards.

Thanks RF, I have heard of kosnik or similar. 35W a piece would do nicely....

They were definitely from CEF if that helps, but don't actually buy them from there unless you know a good mortgage broker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back