Trainco photocell issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

So I have no plumbing experience but have a little knowledge from my own Internet based teaching!
I have a trainco wm70 oil boiler, that cuts out after a few seconds once flame is established! I originally thought this was a photocell problem so fitted a new one but this didn't work, to check the photocell I plugged it in and cupped my hand round the end and when I heard the spark I opened my hand and the boiler works no problem! But when I put the photocell into the boiler it dosent seem to direct a flame (although I know there is one) the only thing I can come up with is the housing inside the boiler where the photocell sits in blocked so it can't see the flame? How do I clean inside? Also once the boiler has been running a few minutes with photocell outside the boiler and I push it back inside the boiler it runs fine ( I pursume the soot starts to glow and this is what the photocell is seeing) any advice thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us the make of the burner, or post a picture of it?
The photocell may have a sloping cutaway at the end - make sure this is facing the flame.
There is a fair chance that there is some soot in the flame tube area of the burner, which needs to be cleared away.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice burner man! After stripping it down I cleared out the photocell housing and it seems to be running fine now! It was abit sooty!

Agile, thanks for your input too.... Most helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back