Training - Central Heating Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I want to get some training on Central Heating wiring - installation and fault finding. This course looks ideal: http://www.plumber-training.com/20.html

Has anyone taken it or any others at this centre? Any other recomendations?

Any advice or information would be really appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest contacting Honeywell. They offer CH wiring and fault finding courses regularly around the country and are free:cool:

Do you have basic knowledge or starting from scratch.

I learnt a lot just by going to honeywell site and printing off the various plans, and studying them.

Also look at the valves, timeclocks, etc and print off the wiring diagrams.

The first CH wiring I ever did was for a large new house with underfloor (wet) central heating with a zone valve and a stat in each room. (Oh yes, and a MegaFlo)

I made friends (beer, mostly) with the plumber and worked through it with him. It took a day to wire and sort out some 'issues' but S plans are a PoP after that!

Hint: 1. take a look at how a central heating & hot water system works
2. have a look at how a 2 port and 3 port valve works and the connections to them

Once you have that in your (electrician's) head the rest should be easy.

Sponsored Links
I've got a one-day course at Baxi in Warwick coming up that covers most stuff to do with installing Baxi boilers.

Not sure if they are normally free, but they are if you do a lot of business with them.

As TTC says, once you've got your noggin around your first S-Plan of the like, it pretty much plain sailing from then on.

The first CH wiring I ever did was for a large new house with underfloor (wet) central heating with a zone valve and a stat in each room. (Oh yes, and a MegaFlo)

I made friends (beer, mostly) with the plumber and worked through it with him. It took a day to wire and sort out some 'issues' but S plans are a PoP after that!

Hint: 1. take a look at how a central heating & hot water system works
2. have a look at how a 2 port and 3 port valve works and the connections to them

Once you have that in your (electrician's) head the rest should be easy.

I'd have to agree with that, CH wiring isn't really complicated but some people just never seem to get their heads around it. When I first finished my apprentceship I had this free book that was printed by Honeywell, they had a pile of them in our office, it's all I ever needed to get my head around it.

Remember doing something similar to the system described there, but the undefloor heating served downstairs (spereate valves/stats for each room) with two rads in lounge and dining, then a different zone for upstairs on rads, two boilers (one for CH one for HW) and two megaflo cylinders, closely working with the plumber and my Honeywell book got me through it.

I'd follow gas4you's advice. The Honeywell course is excellent, albeit not quite free.

Thanks for putting me right on that Softus. I must admit that personally I never pay for ANY courses, so should have realised that there is always a basic charge :oops:

OP; Try contacting your local Honeywell rep and tell him you are considering changing to Honeywell for all your ch electrics etc, you may well get the course free ;)

Thanks for putting me right on that Softus.
No worries innit.

I must admit that personally I never pay for ANY courses, so should have realised that there is always a basic charge :oops:
Not always, actually.

OP; Try contacting your local Honeywell rep and tell him you are considering changing to Honeywell for all your ch electrics etc, you may well get the course free ;)
Personally, and without wishing to pass judgment on anyone else, I find the things that are free are of less value.

Wrt to the Honeywell course, the charge is to cover what turns out to be a reasonable lunch, and to discourage people from booking the course and then cancelling, and helps to cover Honeywell's overheads when people fail to turn up. I have no objection to paying £30 for that purpose, as it's far less than the loss or earnings anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back