Tranformer 240v to 12v ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a portable car heater with a 12v cigarette plug,is it possible have a tranformer or adapter made up to come of the 240v Ring mains that will allow 200 watts of power at 12.3amps ?

If so,can you point me in the right direction....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean you have a portable car heater and want to use it in the house.

Im sure that transformers are available.

I do wonder why you want to use a car heater in the house though?

Why not just buy a heater that runs off mains voltage?
A new heater would proably be cheaper than a transformer anyway.

Sorry, don't quite understand what you've said there.
Watts = Volts x Amps.
So, if you've got a 200w heater it will take 16.6A at 12v or 0.83A at 240v. This means that you need a chunky transformer to deliver that sort of current at 12v - nothing's impossible it just costs money and I would say about £50 in this case. Also bear in mind that indoors it's 240v ac and the car is 12v dc which is probably not a problem but it depends what the heating element is made of. I agree with Sterose, buy a heater it's cheaper. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry,I didn't explain it properly.If you see you my previous post way back,you'll see what I mean.See this. Try and not fall asleep reading it ! I properly be wasting my time if it going to end up having a big tranformer.

masona it will cost you a fortune to get a 16A transformer / rectifyer transformer is ac heater (probalbly) and car is DC

there is a way round it though. 2nd car battery, car charger and imersion heater timer

you could always try this

but be warned it is only a transformer not a rectifyer, and as such may not run your heater

(for those who do not know, a rectifyer changes ac current to dc current)

breezer said:
there is a way round it though. 2nd car battery, car charger and imersion heater timer
Okay,let see if I got this right,

A car battery with a battery charger clip on to the battery terminal and the charger plug into the plug-in time controller ?

Then the 12v car heater wire connect to the battery terminal.

(imersion heater timer , did you mean a plug-in time controller ?)

sorry no, because that way your heater will be on 24 /7 as it is connected to the battery.

you can do similar, but you have an imersion heater timer (not plug in) breaking the circuit to the heater, it has to be an imersion heater timer as these (some do) have "clean contacts" which can safely switch off the low voltage to the heater.

i have also added to my previous post.

masona, from my late reading of this thread and the one you referred to earlier, I assume you are still trying to sort out ice on the windscreen.

I hope I haven't picked up the wrong stick :oops:

Just in case I haven't, I gave up scraping ice off the screen 20 years ago, and I don't use de-icer as it is expensive and it is specially designed (very cleverly) to transmit ice from the outside of the screen to the inside.

Try a 2 litre milk container with water from the hot tap, cheap and effective.

I know, I know it'll crack the screen because of differential expansion. Well nobody thinks about that using de-icer, and I bet the shocks are just as great. Just to prove the point that it didn't crack screens, I had a screen with a bullet crack in it, and I boiled a kettle and took it outside and poured it over the screen. It wouldn't have mattered if it had cracked as I wanted a new one anyway. Well I sold the van 12 years later with the same screen and I had used hot water to clear the ice every time it needed it.

The advantage of using hot water is, it cleans and heats the screen, so when you drive off, the screen doesn't mist up. Try it and see.

Thanks lads,

Oilman, I beginning to think you're right regarding pouring hot water over the cold windscreen ! My next door neighbour always use boiling water and never has any problem ! Now where did I get that from that windscreen will crack with hot water ? perhaps I've been bought up in the olden days and still got the message stuck in my head ! or maybe the windscreen is made of difference material.Maybe I ought to get up 10 minutes earlier and boil the kettle,ahhh hang on,thats mean putting the lights on and with our nosiest kettle in the world ,waking my family up!!

Basically I was thinking for a bit of luxury with the heater warming the car up,just unplug and go as I normally go straight out of the door in total darkness on hand & knee at 5am :LOL:

In this technology world I thought it would be simple to do,they do in others country,just unplug & go !

And finally one last thing,do the windscreen company come out 5am at the weekend :LOL: 'cos I've heard heavy snow is on it way :cry:

And finally one last thing,do the windscreen company come out 5am at the weekend 'cos I've heard heavy snow is on it way

Now I've heard of being bone idle, and I'm pretty lazy myself, but wanting a company to turn out to clear snow off your screen? :D

Try a broom, unless you have one of those incredibly noisy brooms which wake your family up. :LOL:

As for boiling the kettle, do you get hot water out of your tap? It doesn't have to be boiling.

If you want an unplug and go gadget, I remember seeing a mains heater that is fitted in the cooling system pipe, and that keeps the engine hot so when you go off engine is warm, and time to heat the inside is seconds. Just don't forget to unplug, and don't curse too loud when it doesn't work, otherwise you'll wake your family. :LOL:

do you get hot water out of your tap?
Don't know which tap it is,I can't see in the dark and you're forgetting I'm still on my hand & knee. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmmm,I think I get rid of my family ;) or get them up at the same time see how they like doing shiftwork :LOL:

Whats wrong with the garage?

You could divert the warm air outlet from your tumble drier, put it on a timer to both dry your clothes and warm the car!

DavidH said:
Whats wrong with the garage?
Haven't got one and anyway it would be full of rubbish :LOL:

You could divert the warm air outlet from your tumble drier
Not sure about this one DavidH as I've not heard of this one before,but I will forward your question to the experts panel again.

Okay lads another question for you,

You'll see I not beaten yet,is it safe to have a tumble inside the car ? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back