Tranformer 240v to 12v ?

masona said:
You'll see I not beaten yet,is it safe to have a tumble inside the car ? :LOL:

Perfectly, until the day when you forget to take it out before you leave and drive off to work with all your wife's undies on board.... :evil:

On a serious note - I bought a device in Halfords to power a 12V fridge, wasn't too dear. 12V fridge is now in the loft, awaiting warmer weather, and the power supply is inside it so I don't know whether it can handle 200W or not, but it might be worth a look. You in Halfords I mean, not me in my loft ;)

Plan C, provided it's dark and the neighbours can't see, is to use the supply of warm liquid that you will have with you when you get up.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Plan C, provided it's dark and the neighbours can't see, is to use the supply of warm liquid that you will have with you when you get up.... :LOL:
And its also the best way to get a pond filter up and running, if you turn yours off totally for the winter, in spring clean it out, then p** in it,its what the propriety filter starters contain (less the alcohol of course !! ;) :D )

ban-all-sheds said:
Yeah,I've thought of that but I might break my neck of the step-ladder and the yell will wake my family up,safely must come first as my wife said " if you're going to break your neck,do it quietly " :LOL:
Haven't you all got anything better to do ? All this is hurting my ribs and I haven't a spare rib :LOL:

masona said:
.....I haven't a spare rib :LOL:

In that case you need to call in a qualified NICEIC* supplier.

*National Institution of Chinese, Eastern & Indian Chefs

Sponsored Links
I thought about this problem for ages, and decided on those little 60 watt tube heaters. I sat it on the dashboard and plugged it in for the night.......
The following morning my windscreen had about a 2" wide, frost free slot, about 4" higher than the dashboard.............. the idea was sound though... :LOL:

I have heard of the plug in engine warmers. It screws into the water jacket on the cylinder block, the engine is said to reach running temparature in a very few minutes. I've read good reviews, but never experienced it.
Flashbang.

Why not invest in a "tube" heater? - costs around £15. Mount it on a piece of wood and sit it on the dash board. attach a standard 13A plug to it and you can then connect it to a standard extension lead. You could even plug in an electronic timer if you didn't want it on for 10 hours at a time.

Have a good Christmas! - Ian.

180 Watt 3ft Heater Tubular Heater

Is there a formula of working out the heat temperature of a 180 watts,240watts etc.I can't see anywhere the heat it gives of the tubular heater.

And roughy are they expensive to run ?

masona said:
Yeah,I've thought of that but I might break my neck of the step-ladder ...
Ladder? c'mon man - put some muscle into it, you don't need a ladder, just a bit of pressure.

Prostate trouble?

I was up in the loft a few days ago, and I dug out that Halfords PSU I was talking about - only 100W I'm afraid.

Thanks for finding out,I haven't got a enough room in my car for a tumble dryer & fridge :LOL:

Assuming electricity is approx 6.5p per K watt then a 180 watt heater will cost you 1.2p an hour.

And the reason I repeated wot Flashbang said is cos I came in bursting with this wonderful idea and posted a reply without reading the thread first!

As to how hot it gets, that's a good one. They are designed to be safe and not burn you when you touch them so they spread the heat over a wide area unlike an electric fire which is very hot and radiates like mad but is protected. It doesn't matter how hot it gets as it's the amount of energy it puts out that matters. You could have a 180 watt light bulb which would be too hot to touch or a tube heater which would keep your hands nice and warm - they still have the same overall heating effect - if you get my drift.

Thanks,sounds like it won't be warm enough for what I want.

Right,I'm on plan 'F' now :LOL:

masona they are hot i wouldn't want to grab my 2 foot one (its in the shed keeping some electrical bits "warm") i think it will be your best solution, altough i thought of you today when i was reading an ad in the "bun" (yes i did mean to spell BUN) newspaper it was for a heater for defrosting car windscreens about £19.00 i think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back