transferring data from old pc etc. (microsoft to mac)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two old computer towers (windows), one working ok the other working somewhat but VERY slow. I need to transfer data (files, etc) from both for use on my new macbook and don't know how to go about this.

I don't have a monitor so would need to wire them up to my mac just to see the screen. Presumably I can save to disc first before trying to figure out the best way of using the data on the mac system (two separate processes?). There is a chance that there are viruses on there, so am reluctant to plug leads into the mac unless someone can reassure me.

Finally, having retrieved necessary old data, I want to destroy the old computers for security purposes. Any ideas? I have heard a sledge hammer is the best, but I am not particularly muscular!

Sponsored Links
I'm not so good with mac's but you should be able to use a USB memory stick to copy files from one to the other. How much data are we talking about?

A 2gb memory stick is less than a fiver these days & 4gb is just under a tenna.

As for disposing of the old computer it's only the HDD (Hard Disk Drive) that you need to destroy so the easiest thing to do is take that out (normally just 4 screws once you've got into the case) and hit it a few times with a hammer - once it starts to rattle you've done it enough :)

Once the HDD is out you can just take the rest of the box to the tip and stick it in the electrical waste section.

worto.

Thanks Worto you are a star! But how do I see what I am doing without a monitor? Don't I have to hook it up to my Mac screen?

You need a separate screen mate, you cannot hook it up to your mac, it doesn't work that way. Surely you have a friend or relative who has a monitor?
As worto03 said a usb device with enough capacity to put your data on will be fine as the mac will read/mount just about any usb storage device.
However, bear in mind that going from windows os to mac os, you will most likely encounter file compatibility issues, unless its just music and picture etc.

Sponsored Links
sorry - I didn't even read the bit about the monitor - do you know anyone who can lend you a monitor for an hour or you could hook it up to your telly depending on what telly you have?

worto.

The other thing you could do is to get an external drive caddy and use that to put the hard drives in one at a time and copy the data across. I believe that the Mac OS can read NTFS drives and read and write to FAT32 drives.

Back