Transformer/Converter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning a project which will need a 230v AC transformer, stepping down to 12v DC, in order to provide 70W DC output, giving me 6A.

So far, I am not able to find such transformer. Or I may not be able to find one cheap enough in relation to the project's worth.

So, alternatively, it may be possible to find components to build one.

Anyone able to help with this, please ?.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am planning a project which will need a 230v AC transformer, stepping down to 12v DC, in order to provide 70W DC output, giving me 6A.

So far, I am not able to find such transformer.

That is because they don't exist. Transformers are AC devices, they don't and cannot, step down to DC.

Try looking for a 12v 70W DC power supply.

Depending on what your project is, a PC Power supply is ideal. Hold the green pin to black as "soft on". Ignore pretty much anything winston1 says if the topic is about power supplies. He's cant see through the rage.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ignore pretty much anything winston1 says if the topic is about power supplied.
whssign.gif

What I posted was the truth. People will never learn from their mistakes if not corrected.

The exception is you BAS who never learns however many times you are told. Just look at all the posts critisiseing your attitude and rudeness.

Probably a bit big for the op, but Mitsubishi make rectiformers, input 250kvac output 100vdc.

Last edited:
Hmm a rectiformer. Think there's one or two on here that could do with something like that.

So well done, "gentlemen". That's another poster who came here asking for help that will not be back.

I note all the comments, and the not very nice ones are due to my error. The phrasing I used. I should say a transformer to step down from 230v AC to 12v AC. Then convert from AC to 12v DC.

The project is to run a 12v 70W lamp.

As per
Depending on what your project is, a PC Power supply is ideal. Hold the green pin to black as "soft on".

^^^This

You have +12 +5 +3.3V available to you to the tens or even hundreds of Watts, and even -12V for a few hundreds milliamps should you so need it

Any not very nice replies was due to the incorrect phrasing of my post, and I apologise for that.

What I should have posted is that I need a transformer to to step the voltage down from 230v AC to 12v AC. I then need to convert that 12V AC to 12V DC.

The unit I want to run takes 70W DC. It is something I could run off a 12V car battery, but not in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back