Transformer failure

The SMPTs usually quote an effective output of 11.8v. I remember reading years ago (10?) about running transformers at full load but I must admit I've not done any tests. Halogens do run very hot however so it makes sense that they are voltage sensitive.
It's interesting you should say this, since the usual discussion we see here is about the alleged (which I don't think is necessarily true) reduction in life of a halogen bulb/lamp if it is run at under-voltage, and therefore with a capsule temperature less than the very high one needed to optimise the halogen cycle.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
These ones were for lighting they were pre wired with one output lead, even had a 3.15 fuse that screwed in the top to protect the supply
Intram Barwell were the main supplier

These ones were for lighting they were pre wired with one output lead, even had a 3.15 fuse that screwed in the top to protect the supply ... Intram Barwell were the main supplier
Fair enough - but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily very desirable for running 12V bulbs :)

Bulbs called "12V" which are designed to run on DC are often actually 'rated'a t 13.4V or 13.8V, roughly the voltage of a 12V battery on charge. However, when they are intended for AC use, I suspect that 12V really means 12V!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back