transformers with downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three downlights for my bathroom, each one having a transformer. How do I connect three transformers to the existing ceiling rose which I will move into the loft :?:

I have been told to use a strip connector to connect the three transformers, do I then use the existing flex (blue and brown to lightbulb) to connect the strip connector to ceiling rose :?:

Sponsored Links
replace the rose with a 4 terminal junction box.

make swure you remember the current wiring in the rose and repeat it in the junction box (and label which cable is which before disconnecting)

then rather than a light flex you will have the three cables from the transformers

has anybody got a diagram of a 4way junction box wired with three transformers

you can't expect a diagram of every specifc situation you have to learn to think and understand whats going on.

the wiring in the junction box will be just the same as the wiring in your rose just with the connections to the transformers instead of the connections to the lampholder.

the three reds/browns from the household wiring connect together but not to the transformers

the two blacks/blues from the household wiring that are connected together go to the neutrals from the transformers (which will be black or blue)

the final black/blue from the household wiring (which should be sleeved red/brown but probablly won't be) connects to the lives from the transformers (which will be red or brown)

all earths connect together.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

One last question - will all the transformer live connections fit into the one terminal along with the sleeved black, (the same with the neutrals).

There will be 4 connections in the 'live' and 5 in the neutral!!

most junction boxes have theese huge terminals with grub screws in and you can pack a LOT of cables in them if you have a bit of patiance ;)

look for a box that is physically large to give you plenty of space to route the cables inside

don't be afraid to buy a box with a higher current rating than is actually needed if it is larger and gives you more wiring room.

avoid MK junction boxes they have 4 pairs of tiny screw terminals

One of my transformer cables will not be long enough to reach the junction box, what do I need to extend the cable (brown and blue).

Is it a connector block and some extra flex (brown and blue)?

gibbo67 said:
One of my transformer cables will not be long enough to reach the junction box, what do I need to extend the cable (brown and blue).

If you can remove the cover from the transformer.......obviously when it is not connected, just replace it with the correct length of exactly the same core thickness...

edited to correct quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back