Travelling to ROI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the situation is with regard to travelling between the UK and the Rep of Ireland. From what i can tell, you need a passport if you're flying from any UK airport to the ROI, you need photo ID if travelling from the UK to ROI by ferry and you need nothing when crossing the border between Northern Ireland and the ROI?

I also understand that you need a passport to enter or leave the UK but once in a mainland EU country you can move freely between other EU countries?

Can anyone confirm this from personal experience or provide a source of official information on this subject?

Sponsored Links
You don't need passport to travel between NI and ROI, you do need it for flying to ROI from Britain. If flying to NI you need photo ID at least.

Government talked about bringing it rule/law where you needed to show passport but scrapped it.

Hope this clears it up

Being able to confirm your identity wherever you are is always a good thing. Obviously using aircraft its important to show you are not on the wanted list!
I would always take my passport even it I did not need it at borders.

Sponsored Links
I went to ROI with work last year. We went by ferry from Holyhead to Dublin, and returned from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead.

I took my driving licence and passport.

At no point was I asked to show either of them to anyone :confused:

You need a passport to get into England from Cornwall nowadays ... For GOOD reason ... Keep the one-eyed inbreds in pasty land where they belong :LOL:

Q the cornish uprising ...

MW

Sponsored Links
Back