treating logs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in the process of making a few tables using logs that I have got hold of. I would like to know how should i go about treating the edges?

They were cut down probably about 3-4 weeks ago so have not dried out yet. The tops look ok but the sides keep getting a white "froth" (which wipes off) and green spots, looks like mould

I've put some cuprinol 5 star wood treatment on that I had knocking around but it isn't going to absorb very well as the edge still feels oily.

Anything else I should be doing?

Kind regards,
Mike

Attachments

• 20160711_160436.jpg
    20160711_160436.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
store them for a year to dry, slowly, under cover.

they may well have (or get) woodworm and other pests as well as fungus. I get stag-beetles in my dead trees.

Are they for the garden, or indoor furniture?

edit
I see they are rounds cut from the trunk of some hardwood tree, not what I'd call logs.

I wasn't sure what they were to be honest.

They are to be used as outdoor furniture, should I still leave them outside covered to dry for 12 months? Then treat them after that?

Thanks for your reply,

Mike

I think so, but I don't do furniture.

Outdoor timber will not need to be as thoroughly dry as indoor, you need to get it to about the level of moisture that it will have in service. Outdoor it will vary a lot with the weather. You have to dry it slowly to minimise cracking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back