Treating new fence panels (& colour ideas please)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had new fencing put in. Personally i don't mind the colouring as it is but the wife wants to paint them some sort of colour.

Like with painting new plaster, if we'd jumped into that we'd have bought unsuitable non breathable paint had we not asked here. So i'm asking if there's anything specific we should coat it in (it's already tannalised)? Any sort of treatment we should coat it with?

Also can you help (provide photos perhaps) of colour ideas? Colours on the tin are often never as they turn out in the flesh.

EDIT: I forgot to add - do you often have bother with this stuff seeping between the slats & showing on the other side?

Reason i ask is the Mrs & I have had a bit of a disagreement. She reckons that since the fence is ours (we paid to have it installed & on the legal paperwork, that barrier is our property whereas the barrier that separates us & the house to our right is their property) then it is down to us to paint both sides & at any rate - our neighbour cannot paint 'their' side.

My view is that since it is bang centre of the divide, then the neighbour would be entitled to paint 'their' side (legally speaking).

One of us is right, clearly, & one of us is wrong.

She said if they are allowed to paint 'their' side then it better not be running through & showing on our side.

Sponsored Links
Have a word with the Mrs.; the fence looks decent and tantalised, so painting it is just creating work and ongoing work. They weather naturally and look fine.

Nothing would look worse than a dark brown coat of something on it, much nicer as it is.

And if its facing your neighbours garden and any stain seeps through I would think they would want to stain it to look decent. As a good neighbour you could offer them the stain you used, and they just have to spend a couple of hours to do the work.

But, I really would persuade her to leave it be!

Thanks for the input, and i agree.

We sell these panels at work & we have this colour in (which i suppose is natural?) then we have a sort of orange dye look which i'm not keen on, and then a really dark brown which again i'm not keen on.

The drive is done in those 'brindle' pavers, so she was wanting darker panelling to 'go' with the drive i think. Personally i like the light colouring myself but thought i best enquire all the same.

The ones you sell that are dark brown are likely to be "dipped", meaning they've been dunked in a preservative which will fade over time. Dipped won't last as long as tanalised as the treatment doesn't penetrate into the timber.

check with the guys that fitted the fence to confirm they are tanalised, as Phatboy said, they look to be. Tanalised means pressure treated with a chemical under high vacuum - penetrates deep into wood, looks natural with a green tinge that will fade. They should last 15 years especially as they are sitting on stone; a lot of fence suppliers guarantee 15 years for tanalised, 10 for dipped.

If you want to protect them further, you can use a clear preservative. Liberon is a good make.

Sponsored Links
Here's a question:

You see the 3 fence posts in the photo. If you work left from the right-most post...
Then if you count 6 'slats' left of this post you will see at the top a split in the slat.

I never noticed this before until this weekend. Would you leave this (i can get a closeup if preferred) or should you/can you treat it (fill it in) with something? If so, what?

She who must be obeyed is legally right. Your neighbour can't paint, attach anything to, grow anything up, pile anything against your fence.

Here's a question:

You see the 3 fence posts in the photo. If you work left from the right-most post...
Then if you count 6 'slats' left of this post you will see at the top a split in the slat.

I never noticed this before until this weekend. Would you leave this (i can get a closeup if preferred) or should you/can you treat it (fill it in) with something? If so, what?

If I was going to do something about it, which I wouldn't, I would use mitre bond, as it grips in a few seconds. Just make sure you can push the crack closed by hand first.

if anyone ever thought something ever needed painting that would be because they knew already which colour they would like. dont paint just for the sake of painting.

paint colours need to very specifically thought out and basic fence paint choices are pretty rough.

i know what colour id paint it, were i forced to. look at farrow and ball exterior paints and give the missus the bill!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back