Fence painting - neighbours side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Currently my neighbour and I have the same colour on our fence (neighbour owns it). I am thinking of re-painting ‘our side’ a totally different colour.

Being the neighbours fence, I am not entirely sure which surfaces I can paint. On the attached picture, can I paint the edge marked in yellow? Bearing in mind, the new colour could be dark grey or black.

Thanks

Attachments

• EFB82CD5-E905-4CC4-BD94-F24D66FBED38.jpeg
    EFB82CD5-E905-4CC4-BD94-F24D66FBED38.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 337
Sponsored Links
Officially you can't do anything to a neighbours fence without permission.
If you do paint it, I wouldn't do anything where they can see it - and that's including the yellow bit you've outlined. Oh, and please, use a small brush. It takes a lot longer but it's less likely to drip over onto their side.

I did mine - with permission from neighbour and with a small brush. Managed to not get a single drip on their side but it took 3 days.

Officially

my neighbour has an orange car which I find unsightly. Am I allowed to paint it black?

No.

I'm not. It's not mine.

And you have no right to paint your neighbour's fence.

You can ask your neighbour's permission, like Sod did.

If it is shabby, he is more likely to agree to you re-doing it the same colour, or you could offer to do both sides.

Or you can put up some plants or netting so you don't have to look at it. If you are prosperous, you can even put up a duplicate fence to hide it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back