Painting Garden Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,
I want to paint the fence in my back garden because the colour is not nice, im just wondering if there are any legalities to painting my side. The reason i ask is my neighbour is very fussy about her garden and might moan about it dripping through to her side, im willing to touch up any drips. She is a council tennant but bought the fence herself. Sorry to go on and may sound a stupid question.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi m8

Recintly me and my dad built a new fence all on my land , actually sacrifice some land to make sure it was all on my side , the reason i went down that route is to avoid any arguments with the neighbour at some point, well, with the fence only being up about 3 weeks the woman downstairs decided she would paint here side ceder red :eek: , with it being a fence panel it all dripped on our side , now she didn't even chap the door to ask if she could paint it , we paid for it and built it ourselves so you can imagine the anger when i came out to see here painting the fence , i did stress that they didn't need painted (this year anyway)as they were treated , luckily it was only some of the first panel she painted.

Now we have went to see what the legal stance is on this , the council said that as its in our land she has to right what so ever to paint it, i would imagine this would also be the case in your situation , if its taking up a little of your land it might change things but if she paid for it i would ask first and maybe agree on the same colour..

Kev

Thanx for your reply,

The said fence is also cedar red, im not too sure wether the fence is straight down the middle of our properties or on one specific side, i will look at my deeds later. I believe she only paid for because no one else was willing to replace it. I will pop round and see what she says.

Thanx again
Chris

Sponsored Links
If a single run of fence panels run down the boundary line (as most do) it doesn't matter who pays for it ... Each can do as they wish to their side as it is considered on their property.

Best way to handle this is by talking to each other and agreeing on the same colour for both sides.

Other solution of course is to share posts and fit two sets of panels on stretchers between them ... You can then both paint your own panels whatever colur you wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back