Neighbour refuses to let me paint my fence

Thanks to everyone for your input, much appreciated though I'm not sure how much this will help the situation
Would the suggestion of asking the neighbour about using a clear preservative not solve the problem?

Or is it more of a case that really your sister wants both sides of the fence to be painted in the same colour?

Sponsored Links
I am confused that the new fence is on your sister's boundary, yet the old fence belonged to the neighbour.

So, is the new fence in a slightly different position now? Or is it in exactly the same place?

This sort of thing can cause various problems, as you are no doubt fully aware of - and it's a dangerous game to replace someone else's property and make it your own - no matter how good your intentions are.

If the fence was originally the neighbour's, I feel the neighbour must still have a say regarding the new one.

It's a very common thing nowadays if a neighbour has a shabby old fence, the other people just build a new fence on their land alongside.

Personally, I hate the idea - because you can't work on either fence properly, you waste a bit of your land, you get an area prone to weeds you can't access, and worst of all - the original boundary line is at risk of being forgotten forever.

further general comment
any rails best your side for security
i never paint or treat my fences all standard 6ft panels and posts and they last 20-35 years
after about 10 years most need a new panel cap and some structural timbers
i make the caps from 2x1"[50x25]tile baton chamfered and its 5 times stronger than bought caps
the other timbers are swapped for 19x38mm tile baton
now the cost is probably a bit more and changing panels would be more efficient and probably cheaper but instead off a few small timbers ageing in you have a patchwork off old and new panels and no recycling
its also worth noting with tile baton its extremely easy to reform a say 6ft panel with rotten bottom edge to a 5ft 6" and separate unconnected gravel board or a 5ft panel
now i realise this seems odd and unconnected but the point i am making is the feather edge untreated can go on for decades without paint but the odd stave or rail renewal

It seems to me you can treat them every year without fail, but after 20 years they still start to rot, particularly where all the rails join up.

But they are easy to replace sections - especially if you have a multi-tool than can cut through nails.

Sponsored Links
Even though your sister paid for everything the fact is that the original fence belonged to her neighbour. As I see it in that case the new fence still belongs to her neighbour regardless of who paid for it. Personally I would just paint it and if the paint seeped through so be it. Having said that I had a feather edge fence that was mine between my neighbour and me. I thought that I could well have the same problem and in spite of what I said previously I changed all my feather edge panels for plastic with a ten year guarantee, not exactly sure how that will work if I ever have to invoke the guarantee though. In my opinion it looks much better and I wont have the problem of painting it.

Previous posters seem to have missed the point that (you say) the fence is entirely within your sister's boundary. That being the case she can finish it in any colour she likes provided she does it from her side. Unless it's too high, a roller would do it. Also of course, provided the title deeds do not state conditions regarding mutual fences.

Previous posters seem to have missed the point that (you say) the fence is entirely within your sister's boundary. That being the case she can finish it in any colour she likes provided she does it from her side. Unless it's too high, a roller would do it. Also of course, provided the title deeds do not state conditions regarding mutual fences.
Nobody has missed that, but how do you practically get 100% coverage with a roller whilst standing on a 6ft step ladder leaning over a fence, effectively trespassing?

Some 'accidental' runs of paint down the neighbour's side of the fence would look pretty naff and might persuade the neighbour to allow the fence to be painted completely.

Paint it heavily, so it bleeds through the neighbours side.;)

The best thing to do is, fall out even further with the neighbour, over a bit of decorative water based paint that is unlikely to extend the life of the fence (y)

Some more fence painting ideas:

fence1.jpg

fence2.jpg

freddymercurystwin

I did say "Unless it's too high, a roller would do it." Height is not mentioned in any of the posts. And I too don't think paint is a good idea. hth.

I liked the idea of boarding your side of the fence and painting that. The neighbour can let theirs weather/rot or choose to paint it if they like.

Leaning over and painting from your side sounds liable to spill paint on their property which isn't within your rights, especially if there's anything there to damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back