Neighbour refuses to let me paint my fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is in Devon, England.
My sister recently replaced the garden fence separating her garden from neighbours.
She also had the neighbours old fence removed - with her full agreement.
The fence posts are on my sister's land, the attached fencing (vertical feather board, taking apart to paint it definitely not a viable option!) is just touching the boundary line but does not cross it.
My sister paid for everything herself.

After initially agreeing to the choice of paint colour (Cuprinol Ducks back, Forest Oak), the neighbour now states she does not want it, in fact doesn't want it painted at all - wants it left as bare wood. This is not an option, the fence needs preserving for maximum longevity.

As I see it, the fence itself, the ownership and the maintenance are all my sister's responsibility, and the neighbour has no say in any aspect.
However, in the interest of avoiding WW3, She has been given the option of choosing any colour for "her" side, but will not budge.

Does anyone know where my sister stands legally in regard to painting the neighbours side without getting a trespass charge. The local council have not been any help with this .
My sister is mentally at the end of the line dealing with it, so any help, advice gratefully received .

Sponsored Links
in my humble opinion, painting it will make little difference as its a fence some bits may last longer but other bits will rot quicker as the wood cant breath

Whose boundary is the fence on?

Ignoring the fact your sister paid for it, who's fence is it 'officially'?

Your neighbour does have a point about painting her side of the fence - because all too often fence paint can fail and peel/flake very quickly.

After experiencing this, I wouldn't recommend that new fences should be painted.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I disagree with the owner of the fence having the support posts on their side. This means neighbours get the better side to look at.
When I replaced all three sides of my fencing, (many years ago in a different house), I asked the 3 neighbours if they wanted to share the costs. All 3 said no thanks, so I had the good side of all 3 fences facing into my garden. I paid for it; I get the best side.
I also preserved them with the colour of my choice before they were installed.
Doesn't help the OP of course but may help someone in the future.

It will be the posts that will rot first.

Painting it with genuine coal tar creosote would extend the life, water based stuff is really just for decoration.

As a friend of mine says "paint it once and you will be painting it for life" - it will need redoing every few years to stay looking good. Left bare it just ages nicely.

I disagree with the owner of the fence having the support posts on their side. This means neighbours get the better side to look at.
When I replaced all three sides of my fencing, (many years ago in a different house), I asked the 3 neighbours if they wanted to share the costs. All 3 said no thanks, so I had the good side of all 3 fences facing into my garden. I paid for it; I get the best side.
I also preserved them with the colour of my choice before they were installed.
Doesn't help the OP of course but may help someone in the future.
I think it is quite right that the owner has all the supports posts and rails on their side.

Since they are the owners, they can maintain and repair all the important rails and that - so if the neighbour who has the 'posh' side doesn't bother maintaining it, it's only some of the feather-edge that need might need replacing, which is a relatively quick and easy job, for someone.

Last edited:
Use a clear wood primer preserve.
I'm going to do our fence this year. Fitted last year.
That will protect wood and not look any different.
Maybe ask neighbour again next year or leave as will last for years

I might be odd but prefer facing the 'worst' side of the fence with all the posts / rails etc..

The posts and rails make it easier to climb.

Paint in generously in a garish colour and don't fret about the stain running through joints and knotholes to disfigure the other side.

Whose boundary is the fence on?

Ignoring the fact your sister paid for it, who's fence is it 'officially'?

Your neighbour does have a point about painting her side of the fence - because all too often fence paint can fail and peel/flake very quickly.

After experiencing this, I wouldn't recommend that new fences should be painted.
My sister's. I've used Cuprinol Ducksback for 15+ years and it's never failed, peeled or flaked.
Unlike other brand names who will go unmentioned.

Thanks to everyone for your input, much appreciated though I'm not sure how much this will help the situation

Just paint your sisters side and leave the old girl to stew over it. Or as post #9 paint the old girls side transparent, I have for my garage and it just makes it one shade darker.

the neighbours old fence
So your sister paid to replace a fence that belonged to the neighbour?

Put up another set of fence panels on your side of the posts, paint that.. Or if you think you can carefully paint your side without staining through to the other side (which will cause a row), just do that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back