Treating water-marked table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I’ve recently acquired a free table. It’s in very good condition except for some water marks on one leaf - photos below, though they aren’t very conspicuous on a photo. It’s a shame because the other half is perfect.

I’ve tried some silicone wax furniture polish which might have helped a bit, but not much.

This is wood veneer with some sort of lacquer / varnish.

What do you recommend? Should I polish it with something? Or should I lightly sand and use a spray varnish maybe?

Thanks!
ABFDC9B1-D7D9-4422-AC0E-456E95CF86A8.jpeg
6DA97EF2-60CB-45A7-BB54-64B62B508712.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hot iron over tissue will lift out the moisture causing the stain .Keep iron moving to avoid burning.

Hot iron over tissue will lift out the moisture causing the stain .Keep iron moving to avoid burning.

Hmmm, well apparently not a hot iron. Try a cool iron and cautiously turn the temp up. I’ve managed to melt the varnish in one spot - instantly, when the hot iron touched it.

With a cooler iron the white, milky marks have faded. There are still some more damaged areas where the finish seems to have been lost, and some dark stains.

The hot iron should not touch the table top only the tissue , with constant movement .

Sponsored Links
The hot iron should not touch the table top only the tissue , with constant movement .

Right, exactly what I did, but the moment it touched the varnish melted into the tissue, leaving bits of tissue melted into the table top.

Kitchen roll would have been better than something like a Kleenex tissue. It takes longer for the heat to penetrate so therefore isn't an 'instant' heat through a thin tissue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back