Treating wooden raised beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks ,

I`m thinking of making some raised borders for my front garden .

I thought , rather than use railway sleepers , (which I used in the back)which I think might be a bit bulky , as I only have a small garden , I`d use something like 8" x 3" redwood sawn timber .

Just wondering , whats the best way of preserving the wood - particularly the inside faces . Also , is it worth getting it pressure treated ?

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
If you go down the pressure treatment road anything grown can't be called organic! some pressure treatment chemicals actually keep infestations at bay, best check with RHS on this for advice or contact a local gardening club, don't just buy the stuff sold at the timber merchant...pinenot :)

Thanks Pinenot .

Its for shrubs ect , I wont be growing any veg , so the organic issue isn`t really a concern for me.

I`m just interested in the best way to preserve the wood - obviousely , I dont want to kill my plants in the process , though :)

Incidentally , I`ve ordered the 10" x 5" sleepers - but the same question applies !

When you say sleepers are these reclaimed or new?
Old sleepers were cut from a variety of timbers, most for there durability, Pitch Pine was a common one, but some were actually firstly ballast in ships, coming from the New World as it was known then. New sleepers, again cut from a variety of sustainable timbers, come both preserved and raw for exactly the reason were discussing...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
When you say sleepers are these reclaimed or new?...pinenot :)

They`re new ones ! Pressure treated softwood , I believe ! Just wondering if a coat of bitumen to the inner faces would be of benefit ?

If you do make sure your drainage is attended to, bitumen is a natural material, refined but natural, it's up to you, dare I say...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back