Tree cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an Ash tree cut down in June this year.It wasn't particularly healthy. It was about 1.5m round the trunk and 6m high. It was about 40 feet from the house and my garden has a slight downward slope away from the house. Does anyone think I have to worry about land heave? The soil isn't clay. Sorry about the mix of metric and imperial!

Sponsored Links
A building surveyor i use ocassionally works by the rule of thumb that the roots of a deciduous tree generally only have an area of influence within the height of the tree.

So a 6m tree would only have roots extending roughly 6m.

However there is very little chance that a tree which has a cirumfrence of a massive 1.5m has always been 6m tall. I would expect a tree with that size of trunk to be much much higher??

Ok, thats quite a difference. You are still within the rough safe zone if the tree was 12m / 38ft ish and its 40 ft from the house i wouldnt worry too much. Keep an eye on the exterior walls, especially the corner of the house if your very concerned.

Again I wouldnt be worried at those distances.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back