Tree Roots Question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been digging a trench for a garden path I'm putting in (hardcore/concrete base) and have come across some roots from one of our trees. Unfortunately, this is the only place I can put the path, so would someone give me an idea if it's OK to cut the roots, or whether I can concrete over them and raise the path a little. I realise I may get a bit of movement in the future..

pics can be found Here

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your concrete path will crack and heave if it has tree roots under it.

If you are only interfering with the roots on one side of the tree, it can probably afford to have one cut off. At this time of year it will not be shocked much as it does not have many leaves needing water. You can prune back an equivalent amount of branches to balance it if you like.

You may be able to prevent it putting a new root under the path if you dig a deeper trench and put a barrier of thick polythene down (running vertically like a wall) before backfilling.

The barrier has to start below the level where roots will grow and come right up to the surface.

Sponsored Links
Can you tell me what tree it is, ie species? Also you may want to consider using a softer paving material for a metre or two over the tree root. This will help to accomadate movement to some degree. Maybe a coloured tarmac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back