Tree vs foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this tree would stop gaining height years ago but, as you can see, it hasn't, and I'm now worried about it damaging the foundations...

Not sure what kind it is, as it was here when I bought the house - Christmas type maybe?

I do know that hard pruning this kind destroys them. Do you think I need to get somebody in to dig it out?

It's about 25 feet.

Thanks

20240127_141210.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm with Wayne here. It's too tall and too close. And you'll get your light back.

I know someone who had a row of these trees near their house, it caused untold damage which resulted to having the house underpinned and lost valve when sold.

Cut it down down before any damage is caused and noted to an insurance.

Andy

Sponsored Links
All you need do is trim the sides and crown the tree.
A' shave and a haircut'.

Wayners is just making work for himself for an extra few quid.

The paving slabs around the house look flat to me, suggesting no subsidence or root invasion close to the surface.
It's not a Japanese knotweed. Relax.

Anybody know how high this kind of tree will grow in the end? Seems to be some kind of spruce, and various websites say up to 40M :eek: :eek: :eek:

And whether, if I have it regularly trimmed now, it could be kept at its current height?

Thanks all

Get it down before the house insurance company spot it - they know about satellite images. AFAIK any tree closer than 15mtrs to a house is viewed with suspicion by insurance companies.

The house insurance company on my fathers house told us we had 6 weeks to get a tree down before they cancelled the house insurance. They 'spotted' the tree on google maps. Had to supply before and after images of the tree cutting down. Get it done professionally.

I know someone who had a row of these trees near their house, it caused untold damage which resulted to having the house underpinned and lost valve when sold.

Cut it down down before any damage is caused and noted to an insurance.

Andy

The paving slabs around the house look flat to me, suggesting no subsidence or root invasion close to the surface.
It's not a Japanese knotweed. Relax.
...and there's why it's hard for an ordinary punter like me to know what to do :rolleyes:

That is a beautiful specimen -- shame but get it down. What about your neighbours its also close to them isn't it.

Anybody know how high this kind of tree will grow in the end? Seems to be some kind of spruce, and various websites say up to 40M :eek: :eek: :eek:

And whether, if I have it regularly trimmed now, it could be kept at its current height?

Thanks all
a lot of conifers will not reshoot from old wood, so if you trim it back it will just look a mess

The best advice is to remove it completely.

Im not sure about spruce but some conifers like leylandii extract large amounts of water from the ground and the reason building control will make you go awfully deep on foundations if building near one

Get a pro in to discuss cutting it into shape, depending on the species and the best time to do the job.

a lot of conifers will not reshoot from old wood, so if you trim it back it will just look a mess

The best advice is to remove it completely.

Im not sure about spruce but some conifers like leylandii extract large amounts of water from the ground and the reason building control will make you go awfully deep on foundations if building near one
Isn't there another problem where taking out a tree also can cause problems with the sudden difference in ground conditions it makes. I am sure I read something on here about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back