Trees on development site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We are planning to build a detached garage on an area of land that has three large trees (about 15m tall). I think BS 5837 requires that we have a tree survey done. As the trees do not have TPOs and we are not in a conservation area, I think there is nothing to stop us having the trees cut down. So can we cut the trees down and then apply for planning permission with no need for a tree survey?

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware you are right. Do you have to remove the trees in order to build your garage or not though?

Are you sure that the local authority would pick it up / request a tree survey regardless? I doubt it is going to be a requirement for validation purposes (from a planning point of view)

As far as I am aware you are right. Do you have to remove the trees in order to build your garage or not though?

We will have to remove one of them as it is where the garage will be built. The "Root Protection Areas" of the other two might reach the footings.

Are you sure that the local authority would pick it up / request a tree survey regardless? I doubt it is going to be a requirement for validation purposes (from a planning point of view)

So you think they might not ask for a tree survey even if the trees are within the development area?

The effects of the trees may still be an issue (construction wise) even after removal, especially if you are in a clay substrate area.

Sponsored Links
Yes good point. It could take a couple of years for the ground to stabilise.

Don't be so sure. Regardless of whether or not there is a TPO in force, the admin staff at our planning dept often look up the site on Google Earth.

If they see something bigger than a clump of weeds, they write back to the applicant requiring a tree survey (£££) before they will even register the application.

And if the applicant then spends £££ to submit a tree survey, and the application is subsequently refused - tough.

This is one of those things which could be included as a condition on an approval, but our LPA enjoys making applicants spend money, even if it's going to be wasted.

££££? Well, I guess you could submit your own tree survey. There are lots of templates out there. - unless LPAs require that surveys are undertaken by qualified professionals, but I doubt they'd be bothered about that in this instance

££££? Well, I guess you could submit your own tree survey. There are lots of templates out there. - unless LPAs require that surveys are undertaken by qualified professionals, but I doubt they'd be bothered about that in this instance

+1 - my tree survey was a series of dots on an Ordnance Survey plan. My tree identification was "that looks a bit Sycamorey, lets call it a Sycamore"' and my measurements were 'a lot taller than my house, lets call it 14m'.

For a small project like this, I'm not sure the LA are going to expect anything too extreme.

Our LA says if there are trees in the area we need a tree survey, but doesn't say who has to do the survey. Other LAs say the tree survey has to be done by a "qualified arboriculturist":

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/environment/trees-and-woodlands/tree-survey-requirements

Is BS 5837 intended for large developments? Because it seems that for householder developments, it will just encourage people to cut down any trees so they don't need to get a tree survey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back