Trenching between properties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Between me (1930's 2 story) and next door (1960s ish single story extension to 1930s house) is a path around 1.1m wide. No idea of the paths construct - its got gravel on top, no idea what that is hiding (yet). Path is 15-20m long. The soil is generally clay.

I may have to dig a trench down the path to lay a water pipe, so c. 800mm deep and maybe 200m wide.

Is this likely to need shoring up? Googling found only over 1200mm do you need to - but seeing a video showing cave-in on a similar depth trench got me thinking! If so, what is recommended to shore up?

I am concerned of a cave in, followed by the side of my (or next doors) house.

I welcome your thoughts and experience!

Sponsored Links
How about hiring a moling machine? You could do 3 spot digs and shoot the pipe through.

I will investigate mole'ing - not sure I'd DIY that as I'd not want the risk of loosing it! Its a straight run and mole pits would be safe enough. Any idea of cost? Is it £3-400 or £1000s?

Dig n backfill is also an idea - but I need the trench inspected/signed off - so needs to be done in agreement with inspector (depth photos etc may be enough).

Nice ideas, and same wavelength! :) Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd guess it would be in the hundreds rather than £1000's.

We hire a complete kit from Nationwide Hire and first time was a DIY job realy, we have no official training and we haven't lost one yet.

I left part of a kit out for Rudolph this Christmas Eve, it's called a carrot but only I got the joke.
image.jpeg

If they would accept photos or visit you 7 times it would be cheaper. Are you using 25mm pipe?

Ah - I thought that was a sex toy!
Yes, 25mm pipe - no point for us going bigger.
(we also live on a private road shared with the water people so they drive past daily! So I had an online chat asking if I could have help finding the pipe, and the inspector turned up next day for a chat!)

Based on the description, if you are excavating within 3M of your neighbours foundation, then its likely you'll need a party wall notice agreed.

Just crack on with it. As long as you are not undermining their foundations then no worries. Rather than go as deep as 800mm, use common sense and be aware of the neighbours foundation depth. Surround the pipe with soft sand and lay warning tape on top.

Why do you need this signing off or inspecting?

It needs signing off by the water inspector as its a new supply pipe, and they won't connect it unless the trench is made to their standards - e.g. pipe at least 750mm deep.

Had no idea party wall agreement may be needed though :( More googling.

I don't really want to crack on with it - as, as I have to get it inspected, it has to be 750-800 deep, and I don't want to risk my, or next doors property. Otherwise the cracking on may be on my or their wall

Could it be mole ploughed in ?

Cables can be moled in across fields with a hand steered "plough" that is pulled by a winch but then cables are far more flexible than water pipe so it may not be practical for a water pipe.

WTF has the domestic supply got to do with the water company beyond their connection?

Assuming you're not being flippant, apparently there was an incident 30 odd years ago where loads of people lost their water supply in winter due to a long freeze and shallow pipes. So a new rule was brought in about making sure pipes are deep enough not to freeze again.
It's for your own good, I suppose ;)

It still does not explain how the water companies can have any remit regards domestic supply other than an advisory capacity.

I think the water companies are just the police of that rule. Not sure who would be better placed to do it? Given people a're not guaranteed to even notify BC but you have to notify the water companies to get a connection. Catches a few more than bc would I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back