Trenching machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody used one? I've got around 200m to dig to take a MDPE water pipe so only need a narrow trench. Seem a lot cheaper to hire than a mini-digger but wondered if they will be too slow or struggle in my clay soil.

Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I had a 20 HP trencher hired from Lord Tool Hire.....Honda engine, like a subterranean chainsaw. Worked well enough in soil with sandstone rubble buried in there. Occasionally needed a bit of help when it hit a stone slab!
John :)

what size trench will it dig... and how fast?

I had to go down about 200mm I think - it was to bury an oil supply pipe and the width, if I recall, was just less than 3".
I've seen these things with tracks on, but the one I had was wheeled. Not the cheapest thing to hire though but it went through a grassed area well enough.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think I need to be at 750mm to avoid freezing and the one I've seen you walk backwards and the spoil is deposited either side of the trench. Just wondered how quickly it can move along. With 200m I need it to get a bit of a shift on!

Thanks everybody for your advice, I think the pedestrian trencher is the way to go for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back