Trianco 12/14 TRO Monoflame not firing.....!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! Im a complete newbie to the world of plumbing and oil burners apart from spending a lot of money getting my one fixed over the years.
I have a trianco tro 12/14 boiler that wont fire. I thought we had run out of oil ( I knew it was getting low but I have been busy rebuilding a stone wall!!) so without looking in the tank I ordered some more and had it filled. Problem is it still will not fire :(
It was firing but then would lock out after about 30 seconds. Now its not firing at all - Just a 'click' sound which I think sounds like its trying to ignite the fuel.
I have bled the system from the small hexagonal bleed valve on the pump and also checked the filter at both the tank end and in the pump, both are clean. I have also pulled out what I believe to be the photocell and it was clean.
Could anyone give me any advice on what to try next? I feel like Im at a point where I shouldnt touch anything else on it in fear of messing something up but its annoying the poo out of me!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Do you think you DID run out of oil?? If so do you think you opened the right hez nut on the oil pump?? As my old journeyman would say; a liittle knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

Best to get a qualified time-served guy in to have a look at it.

Thanks for the reply Dick Puller (!!!)

I am not sure it was 100% empty in the tank, but I had checked a week or so back and it was getting 'low'. My mrs feels the cold so it wouldnt suprise me if it had been run dry. It was foolish of me not to check before I had it refilled - lesson learnt!
The 'hez' nut has a small outlet hole and after I had loosened it and run the system, oil squirted out thick and fast so I tightened it quickly as it was running.
I agree that a little knowledge is dangerous but I wondered if there was anything fairly straight forward that a novice could try before getting out a service guy?

Two possibilities at this stage...

1 No oil getting to burner nozzle due to soleniod valve coil failure or indeed oil pump/pump coupling failure.

2 No spark at the nozzle due to either dirty/faulty/knackered electrodes or ignition transformer failure or ignition leads shorting.

Do you hear a buzzing like the electrical discharge of the ignition electrodes prior to the lock-out?

Sponsored Links
try cleaning the photocell for a starters,usually what id do is turn the oil supply off at the burner take the burner out enough to see if theres a spark.turning the supply of at the tank though with excess oil in the line can be quite intersting. :D

Thanks for the replies....

I haven't heard any buzzing at all proir to lock out. All I can hear is the pump/fan and then a 'click' as if the electrodes are sparking or something like that????
I have pulled out the photocell and given it a wipe; it wasnt dirty in the 1st place though???

It WAS firing up and staying on for about 30-60 seconds then locking out prior to me bleeding the system. :confused:
:eek: It seems worse since I bled the system?!

I could advice you further on for example checking the amount of seconds taken before it locks-out. As the control box will give details of that, but as I say; best left to a pro.

I'm never keen in advising DIY boiler repairs as there are some right crackpots out there, that would fry themselves or take the whole street out with a gas explosion!!

As my old journeyman would say; a liittle knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

A statement as unjustified as "you get what you pay for". Both mere collections of words spouted by those who haven't anything to contribute.

Best to get a qualified time-served guy in to have a look at it.

And another. I am not time-served if you are suggesting a formal apprenticeship.

holty said:
could be a number of things like pump,solonoid,drive dog etc

Could be the pump, though the click is probably the solenoid operating. Unlikely to be the drive dog as the oil spurted out.

Could be no spark, photocell, or just badly adjusted so the flame can't establish.

What could be out of adjustment? The photocell?

I noticed it was quite loose when I first pulled it out. I then wiped it and pushed firmly back into its housing.....still didnt fire :cry:

If there is no spark, would I have to replace the electrodes?

As soon as the 'click' happens oil p*sses out of the bleed valve if its open. I guess its timed to operate just as the burner fires?

There is no point in replacing the electrodes if it is the transformer or the control box at fault. It needs diagnosing.

The adjustment has nothing to do with the photocell normally. It is the fuel:air ratio.

You need a service man.

My boiler is working again!!! :)

Had a really helpful, friendly engineer come out and he replaced the pump & nozzle for a nice price. The nozzle was all blocked up and even with a high pressure pump & soaking in boiling water he couldnt get it clear.
The tank must have run dry & a load of kack went down the line. I will keep a closer eye on the level in the future.

Thanks for all your advice and comments. :cool:

My boiler is working again!!! :)

Had a really helpful, friendly engineer come out and he replaced the pump & nozzle for a nice price. The nozzle was all blocked up and even with a high pressure pump & soaking in boiling water he couldnt get it clear.

Bit of a waste of time, nozzles are cheap.

The tank must have run dry & a load of kack went down the line. I will keep a closer eye on the level in the future.

Would be better to fit a filter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back