Trianco Redfyre TRO New Solenoid or New Burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trianco Redfyre TRO New Solenoid or New Burner?

I have a Trianco Redfyre TRO, serial 87,490. The burner is orange and is made by B. Palm & co, Sweden, probably 1977 vintage.

The motor runs then goes to lockout. I managed to get it running by tightening the bolt on the solenoid (some kerosene leaked out for a few moments, then was O.K.). According to this thread

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=195301

it sounds like the solenoid is faulty. However my pump is not a Danfoss, it is a Suntec V P. Could you please advise on getting the right part. I was going to try HPS. http://www.heating-parts.co.uk

Also, the alloy collar that mounts the burner into the flame chamber is split. Do you think I could get a new one of these?

Would also like your opinion on the following.
Somebody said that buying a whole new burner might cut reliability problems with an old boiler.

1) Is there one available that would fit the Trianco Redfyre TRO? (from HPS?)
2) Would it be difficult to fit by a DIYer who is used to servicing his own boiler.
3) Would a more modern burner save on fuel to justify the £400 - 500 price tag?
4) Do they come complete with everything such as nozzle, solenoid, wiring, pump, control box, photo cell etc.?

Thank you for help.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get a Solenoid stem and coil for the suntec pump no problem HOWVER the mounting flange?? I'm not sure if they are availibe this is a very important part because unless the flange is securely fastened to the burner, the burner can fall off of the boiler, which if firing at the time could result in a serious fire!!

If the burner needs replacing you would need an oil engineer to fit the correct burner, nozzle and importantly set it up using pressure guage and combustion analyzer. ;)

Mr BM2, does the EOGB flange not fit these? Part 271907 from heating-parts.co.uk?
Perish the thought if the burner falls out of the hole :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's worth asking an experienced engineer for his opinion. There are several burners that will fit into a TRO, and purchasing any will also provide a new mounting flange. It will also require commissioning properly.
Although your burner started againafter tightening the solenoid nut, I doubt that was the problem, and you are likely to have the same fault again.
When was it last serviced?

Thanks for the advice Oilhead. If it isn't the solenoid, what other things should I look at?

It was serviced a few months before the breakdown. It has done this before and it is always when the boiler hasn't been run for a few days. If you fire it up every day it is perfectly alright.

Any ideas?

sounds like the pump is starting to fail. (loosing suction/pump ability)

The change in the grade of kerosene has not helped older pumps. I have changed more pumps in the last 2 years than over the previous 10 years.

But with a boiler of that age i would be very surprised if the main exchanger didn't start leaking within the next 5 years.

Probably time to consider a new boiler rather than spending more money on a very old one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back