Trianco Redfyre Oil boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,
May I pick your brains and expertise with this query?
I have an old (30 years!) Trianco 37/45 which surely can't last much longer. I cannot afford to switch to a new condensing boiler, so wish to prolong this one's life as much as I can! I have been offered a reconditioned Trianco burner from a younger 20/25 model for a reasonable sum, but am unsure as to how much might be transferable to mine. The actual design of burner unit is the same (Inter ??), albeit that it puts out a lesser output.

The Danfoss oil pump on it is the same model, and the transformer looks to be the same size, but from a different maker (A Danfoss rather than my May & Christie). Does anyone know if transformers must be matched to a specific machine, or not?

The motor portion looks to be exactly the same size and shape as mine, and I am hoping that it's just the internal items like the burner nozzle, and maybe electrodes that are so different to get the change in heat output??

Any advice at all would be VERY welcome, even if it's just to direct me to a more relevant information Forum !!.
Regards and thanks, Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi all ,
May I pick your brains and expertise with this query?
I have an old (30 years!) Trianco 37/45 which surely can't last much longer. I cannot afford to switch to a new condensing boiler, so wish to prolong this one's life as much as I can! I have been offered a reconditioned Trianco burner from a younger 20/25 model for a reasonable sum, but am unsure as to how much might be transferable to mine. The actual design of burner unit is the same (Inter ??), albeit that it puts out a lesser output.

The Danfoss oil pump on it is the same model, and the transformer looks to be the same size, but from a different maker (A Danfoss rather than my May & Christie). Does anyone know if transformers must be matched to a specific machine, or not?

The motor portion looks to be exactly the same size and shape as mine, and I am hoping that it's just the internal items like the burner nozzle, and maybe electrodes that are so different to get the change in heat output??

Any advice at all would be VERY welcome, even if it's just to direct me to a more relevant information Forum !!.
Regards and thanks, Richard

Ah another Dick!! I thought I was the only Dick on the forum??
Richard, I'm sure there's better oil burner guys than me on the forum, but here's my take on it - for what it's worth?
Most burners are range rated, with the nozzle changed, the oil pressure at the oil pump checked & air adjusted to suit the required output, so a set of MIs(installation instructions) from Trianco, the burner manufacturers or on-line could quickly establish what the other burner can be adjusted to. Also, you may have an issue with the blast tube being too small or need adjusted, again I think that could be established with the MIs.

I hope that's some help, from experience Trianco is a bit of a mixed bag boiler quality & backup wise, but regardless it's not their burner.

how much oil do you currently go through each year?

a new condensing oil boiler would go through less than 60% of your current boiler. A few system up grades and it could be that you half your oil bill.

You do the maths. Might be worth you getting a loan to do the change!

Most old oil boilers i change that are over 25 years old customers normally end up using about 50 to 60 % of what they used to and always report that the house is warmer than it used to be.

Sponsored Links
You could make valuable savings improving your home's insulation, there's lots of government funded schemes, some offering free insulation!
Also an upgrate to your CH control system can save lots of dosh.

That'll be much cheaper than changing your oil boiler, which in some cases are quite efficient anyway, there only failing being a lot of heatloss up the flue.
HTH

Why buy a 'reconditioned' burner, even if it is reasonable(?), when a completely new burner can be matched up to your boiler for around £250.
Thinking logically, if someone has the parts to recondition a burner similar to yours, then the parts will be available for replacement on your own unit. The unit you have been offered may be able to be adapted to you boiler, but I would think there may be a difference in the blast tube to produce almost twice the amount of heat between the two units.
I doubt if a new boiler would save you 20% of your current oil bill. Maybe a completely new system may be much more economical, and as another poster has said, you do the maths. One other comment I would make is that whatever new boiler you decide on, when you decide on it will last nowhere near the one you have at the moment.

Hi,
Many thanks for reply. I really do wish I could afford a new more efficient Boiler unit but having been quoted way over £3000 for the job - and some 'opportunists' wanted £4000+ - (it would mean moving the whole position to an outside wall too) and as we plan to only still be in this house for another two to three years max, I have "Done the Math" and regretfully decided to hang on with the old system if I can!

Have been worried that I might have major problems needing and finding a spare part quickly if it broke down in mid-Winter, hence my desire to collect spares I hope never to actually need!!

If one can reasonably 'match' a new burner model to this old contraption for such a decent price then that's a hopeful scenario which I will cling onto. Do you think a 'later' burner would have to be from Trianco, or might various makers use similar apertures to the main heating chamber??
Once again, my thanks,
Richard

Why buy a 'reconditioned' burner, even if it is reasonable(?), when a completely new burner can be matched up to your boiler for around £250.
Thinking logically, if someone has the parts to recondition a burner similar to yours, then the parts will be available for replacement on your own unit. The unit you have been offered may be able to be adapted to you boiler, but I would think there may be a difference in the blast tube to produce almost twice the amount of heat between the two units.
I doubt if a new boiler would save you 20% of your current oil bill. Maybe a completely new system may be much more economical, and as another poster has said, you do the maths. One other comment I would make is that whatever new boiler you decide on, when you decide on it will last nowhere near the one you have at the moment.

A new burner would come with a mounting flange that may need to be fitted depending on the make of burner. This entails removing the two nuts that hold your existing flange to the boiler and fitting the new one.

That's very helpful - - I was hoping that it might be a straightforward job to mount another model. I can see that I may well spend ages hunting down a spare correct burner unit for this model and then probably never having to use it, but I have always had classic cars and having a spare engine, gearbox, etc, etc all ready for use has always seemed sensible to me!

A new modern condensing boiler would, I am sure, save me a lot in oil bills, but amortising the huge installation cost for a couple of years use, just doesn't add up easily. Help to sell the house then, of course, but even so, the cash outlay now would be difficult. Unfortunately the existing boiler is on an interior wall with the flue up through the garage roof, so even more major costly amendments to fit a condensing model I think.

Regards, Richard

A new burner would come with a mounting flange that may need to be fitted depending on the make of burner. This entails removing the two nuts that hold your existing flange to the boiler and fitting the new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back