Trianco/Iona Locks out on first startup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Trianco 100/125 (Travis Perkins Iona actually) oil central heating boiler, which locks out on first start up of the day. It then starts up fine for the rest of the day!

Having searched several forums/topics, it seems that this is unusual as most boilers display this type of fault constantly and not just first start up.

Is this a fuel problem or air accumulating in the system maybe? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Wondered whether it could be combustion settings (air) - Is it an indoor or outside boiler? have you tried cleaning the electrodes? Could be a weak capacitor, could be a stiff oil pump shaft...
Ideally you need to be there when it locks out to see how far it gets (or doesn't) when it tries to start - does the motor spin at all, does it fire and go out - it's difficult to point you in a particular direction with very little info to go on :)

Sponsored Links
Wondered whether it could be combustion settings (air) - Is it an indoor or outside boiler? have you tried cleaning the electrodes? Could be a weak capacitor, could be a stiff oil pump shaft...
Ideally you need to be there when it locks out to see how far it gets (or doesn't) when it tries to start - does the motor spin at all, does it fire and go out - it's difficult to point you in a particular direction with very little info to go on :)

It is an indoor boiler, the motor spins ok - blowing fine. Seemingly no sign of ignition, and then it locks out. It starts second time after the reset switch is pushed in.

I wonder if it is the oil valve, that sticks when the boiler has been off for a few hours?

That type of problem gets engineers pulling their hair out, if no ignition on start up then you look at control box,transformer,electrodes,photocell.

It could even be the oil syphoning back to tank overnight. Afraid your gonna have to go with it till you get a definite pinpoint.

This points to fuel, check filters, and also check the filter in the fuel pump. What burner is fitted to the boiler?

That type of problem gets engineers pulling their hair out, if no ignition on start up then you look at control box,transformer,electrodes,photocell.

It could even be the oil syphoning back to tank overnight. Afraid your gonna have to go with it till you get a definite pinpoint.

Good job I've had a No2 all over, otherwise I wouldn't have any hair left!

Checked everything I can - oil flow from tank - stripped pump and cleaned it - cleaned pump filter - checked solenoid - primed pump. Deffo getting a wet nozzle, so that seems ok. Checked photoelectric cell and that's ok - cleaned contacts on control box/relays.

Played about with adjustments of electrodes and hey presto, it fired up! So I will see if if fires up in the morning - fingers crossed. If it doesn't I think it will be the HT transformer or maybe the electrodes, but the electrodes look good and are adjusted correctly.

I'm thinking that the electrodes were just about on the limit of firing and when the boiler was hot the gap was slightly reduced, giving constant firing, but in the morning when cold the contacts were just far enough apart to not spark - or at least take a few goes to spark.

oilhead wrote:-

This points to fuel, check filters, and also check the filter in the fuel pump. What burner is fitted to the boiler?

The burner is a Ecoflam Minor 4TC Eurostar.

I'll post with hopefully good news tomorrow!

Woohoo - started first time this morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next few days though!

Oh dear - bit premature with the euphoria! Back to the drawing board. It didn't fire up first time this evening, however it did on reset, so it can't be broken really!!

Have you checked oil pressure?Is it steady on the gauge? How old is the nozzle? is it dirty?

Have you checked oil pressure?Is it steady on the gauge? How old is the nozzle? is it dirty?

I don't have a suitable pressure gauge, but fuel supply doesn't seem a problem. The nozzle is about 8 years old but is clean (well I have cleaned it), and there is fuel on it.

I hate intermittent faults - its been absolutely fine today.

I rather think its an ignition fault - that's why its intermittent. Either the electrodes or the coil - any checks that can be done on the coil, or is it change it and see?

The only fuel problem I suspect is if the solenoid is likely to stick, electrically it meters ok, but could it be intermittent mechanical problem - it seems a sealed non-serviceable part - might be worth getting a replacement do you think?

Oilhead just as a matter of interest if the oil pressure was not steady on the gauge what would this tells us?

Despite the gap specification for the electrodes being 3mm and 6mm from the nozzle hole, I have set the 3mm gap smaller and tried different distances from the nozzle, and so far (3 days) it seems to be firing ok!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back