Trianco TRG60 flames up flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had these Boilers for the last 40 years with very little problems. Due to bad fuel not burning well I have had bridging problems in the hopper. I have adjusted the throat plate for larger gap, (bottom hole) which has cured my problem of keeping the fire in overnight. But now I have to turn the thermostat down to 1 or I get roaring flames up the flue and basically overheating the chimney flue long before the thermostat shuts off, creating a hot smokey chimney. It runs fine set at 1 but unable now to turn it up. Is this due to a larger fire bed?

Sponsored Links
Put the fuel regulator plate back to the top or second hole and find out !!!

Over the last few days, tried regulater plate in all the different holes, fire will only stay in for more than 6 hrs when on widest setting bottom hole. This morning the fuel had bridged across the gap when I declinkered, but not due to clinkers, no fuel dropped, I was able to clear the whole fire basket clean without new fuel feeding down. I poked the fuel down with a poker from the top hopper door the fire was still in. It looks as though the fuel seems to set or bond together as a clump. The fuel is dry when fed in and door seals have been replaced, fan settings as per manual and clean. Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Terry thanks for the reply, I'm sure it's a fuel problem. I wanted to rule anything else out first, can't think of what else I could do now.
How big is what my friend? The boiler is a TRG 60.

The fuel.
As you probably aware. The fuel reg plate is Top- hole Grains and second peas & Beans.
Are there any larger pieces that could jam and cause a bridge ??

Thanks Terry, the fuel is beans, but there's the odd piece of flat grey slate type which, when at the pit we described it as dirt, but that's only slightly larger than a bean. Nothing that I would consider large enough to bridge.
What I can't understand that it bridges the gap and holds the whole weight of the hopper up a proper plug. When I losen the plug what falls is a bright orange red hot burn of beans followed by the new unburnt fuel.
I thought at first that I must have an air leak into the hopper causing the fuel to burn up, so I replaced the seal, but it only burns up a couple of inch seems to form a plug then if left goes out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back