Triangle headed bolt on security light - how to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have these unusual triangle headed bolts on an outside security light. Does anyone know what they are called and what can I buy to undo it? As I need to change the bulb inside.

The light was there when I moved in, and there is no brand name on it.

thanks

View media item 21693 View media item 21692

Sponsored Links
OK. thanks. Is there anything specific I can ask for in lieu of taking the picture with me?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes called a utilities key - you get a selection of four different key types on a mini wheel brace. (Bought one in the market for £1.50 last week!)

Sometimes called a utilities key - you get a selection of four different key types on a mini wheel brace. (Bought one in the market for £1.50 last week!)
£3.50 or thereabouts in B&Q and called service keys.

Well I tried one of these

http://www.nichelocks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=565

but unfortunately too big. I thought it would fit, but about 1-2mm too big! It was struggle to find that one, let alone one smaller.
Hmmmm.... That looks like the standard gas meter cupboard size which is the only one you'll commonly find.
I think I'd next try some small 1/4 inch drive sockets and see if you can find one that's a tight fit on three of the six corners.
If you really don't want to mangle the heads you could make your own spanner out of a flat piece of steel with a bit of drilling and filing.

I used a needle nose plier and got the screws out. Ordered a new bulb. Still not sure how the whole thing works. There is this thing that appears to be a sensor facing the light (it faces up to the sky), as opposed to facing a moving person. So that would suggest the light comes on whenever it is dark?? Presumably, it's a pre PIR light.

well just plopped the new bulb in and it turned on immediately (in broad daylight). so not promising, looks as if the sensor is broken and the light will be on 24hrs a day. what's worse, the cable disappears into the wall, and the life of me, cannot find any switch in the house which might turn it off.

OK, so that exercise finally established it was a light (after 3 years wondering). Looking at the pics, I have the following questions.

1. Is that thing a light sensor?
2. Why would anyone want a light that comes on whenever it is dark. Burning a light all night seems a waste of energy?
3. If the light stays on during the daylight, presumably that means that sensor is faulty?
4. I cannot find any interior switch for this light. Is that normal that someone would just connect it directly to a circuit without an option to turn it off?

Still not sure why whoever went to all that fuss to install this light, when they could have just installed a simple exterior light connected to the same circuit and switch as the light just inside the door. Am I missing something?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on all these!

Jeremy View media item 22340 View media item 22341 View media item 22342 View media item 22343 View media item 22344

That is a daylight sensor, activates at dusk. Is that a PIR sensor at the front?

1. Is that thing a light sensor?
Yes, siree.
2. Why would anyone want a light that comes on whenever it is dark. Burning a light all night seems a waste of energy?
There's one of those on just about every street light in the world...is it a waste of energy? Actually it probably is. :LOL:

3. If the light stays on during the daylight, presumably that means that sensor is faulty?
If it stays on permanently then yes. However, some sensors come on in test mode and you have to flick them off and back on for them to operate normally. This will rely on you finding a switch though. Of course if the sensor is faulty and leaves the light on permanently then it at least explains the lamp going. ;)

4. I cannot find any interior switch for this light. Is that normal that someone would just connect it directly to a circuit without an option to turn it off?
Not normal no, but entriely possible. Does it look like a DIY job? Can you work out which fuse/MCB it's fed from? Any FCU in the vicinity anywhere that you can't seem to work out what they do...?

Still not sure why whoever went to all that fuss to install this light, when they could have just installed a simple exterior light connected to the same circuit and switch as the light just inside the door. Am I missing something?
I installed a simple outside light as you describe but the missus hates it - she wants one that comes on when it gets dark (or at very least one with a PIR sensor that comes on when you dance in front of it). :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back