Tribune unvented cylinder - turn off hot supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Tribune HE unvented cylinder.

I have a leaky sink tap in the bathroom which i want to replace the washer on, however I can't seem to stop the hot water flowing.

Photos attached.

I have closed off the red tap at the top. (black arrow) This seems to be the hot supply to the bathroom etc. The rest of the pipes are cold so i assume cold supply to the tank.

How do i turn off the hot water to the bathroom so I can repair the sink tap?. Do i also need to turn off the stopcock?

Attachments

• IMG_8397.jpg
    IMG_8397.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_8398.jpg
    IMG_8398.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_8401.jpg
    IMG_8401.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_8402.jpg
    IMG_8402.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
If turning off the red tap (gate valve) doesn't stop the water then it isn't working properly, gate valve's are notorious for not closing especially under mains pressure. I can't tell but do you have hard water and is that limescale on the top and right hand side of the tap, I can't tell as TBH the pic's attrocious. If so that'll be another reason it's not closing properly.

Mains cold supply is the only other option, remember it will take a little time for the pressure to release and for the water to stop running, it won't stop straight away.

Here's a better photo. The white substance is chalky. This is a medium to moderately hard water area.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.jpg
    IMG_8459.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_8460.jpg
    IMG_8460.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 164
As said, if the hot outlet gate valve doesn't shut off the flow, try the cold feed isolator to the cylinder and run all hot taps until they stop.

Sponsored Links
Yup, the tap will probably be crusted up inside, so isn't closing down properly. When the mains is off and the pressure released then change that for a 1/4 turn full bore lever valve and manipulate it a couple of times every few months to stop it jamming up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back