Trickle Battery Charger

Sponsored Links
I quote from the advert,
"This charger is designed to keep charged batteries charged!"

If the battery is any good, it won't need one of those. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

If the battery is any good, it won't need one of those. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I hate to disagree but for motorbikes something like this is often essential, especially if you lay your bike up over the winter. If you ride over the winter then it's no problem but tiddly little bike batteries tend to suffer if left for a month or more.

How good that one is however, no idea. And as you say, it won't charge from flat.

Ditto, i have to charge the kitcar as it doesnt get used from months at a time in winter and has a very small race battery.

But no, that wont charge from flat, for that I have a halfrauds charger, cheap but works, and was avilable on a sunday when I needed it!

That would looks like nothing more than a small transformer and rectifier and I wouldnt leave it attached to anything. Ctek appear to have the market sown up for float chargers/conditioners and can be had for £30.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I too have batteries in storage over the winter and I've never had to trickle charge them.
I don't store them on the floor and I don't leave anything connected to them.
From my experience I've found that if it's a good battery, stored properly, it will keep it's charge over winter. If it starts to fail, I bin them.

I too have batteries in storage over the winter and I've never had to trickle charge them.
I don't store them on the floor and I don't leave anything connected to them.
From my experience I've found that if it's a good battery, stored properly, it will keep it's charge over winter. If it starts to fail, I bin them.
As said, it depends on the battery.

But I would like to see you try and start a high compression 1.9 cvh racing engine on a cold day with one of these thats been say in a garage for two months.

http://www.varleyredtop.com/pdf/1_vrt20.pdf

Daniel

Handy to have, but the current output will be small, I'm guessing 0.5A, to small to charge a flat battery. Also available as a solar cell panel, drop it in the front window and connect to the cigarette lighter/output socket. Very handy for anything not always on the road.
We could not afford to replace a battery just because it goes flat once in a blue moon.

I get the picture - only to keep charged topped up.

I'll get a proper 12V charger at Lidl next time their in stock.

Just out of interest, if batteries are being stored over winter, removed from the vehicle, if the terminals are covered in grease, this would prevent the battery from going flat from dampness?

Batteries dont go flat from dampness, they are infact, full of water.

They go flat because there is something drawing current from them (ie, an imobilisor) or because of internal discharge, which can increase with age.

Greasing the terminals will prevent corosion but isnt really needed or relivent to the thread.

Daniel

i dont agree with greasing terminals, after all its not a good conductor of electricity and can cause more problems. I dont think ive ever seen corroded terminals on modern charging systems.

I've never stored any batteries away from a vehicle so can't speak from experience.

With batteries in service I've always smeared grease on both terminals although this won't prevent gradual discharge of a battery in damp conditions if the vehicle is stood for a while.

One thing about non-sealed batteries I've observed over the years is folk who top them up with tap water - poor battery!

Sponsored Links
Back