Tricky floor leveling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a garage conversion on my 60 house. The garage is actually part of the house, typically useless size so made sense to convert it into a useful area (toilet, utility area and comfy room.)

Problem is, the floor slopes away to the front of the house. I intend to lay ceramic tiles in the first half of the floor and here is the problem.

I need the floor level. I need to raise the floor 3mm to 35mm. Obviously this is too thin for sand/cement and too thick for a normal self levelling compound.

Knowing little about flooring I search and came up with a product called StopGap 600. Seem to fit the bill nicely. 5-50mm depth fits in nicely with what I need.

What do you think? Is this stuff any good or am I barking up the wrong tree? Can I lay the tiles directly over this stuff? What adhesive would you recommend?

There is no DPM installed either. Can anyone recommend a moisture barrier I can lay below the stopgap or again am I completely wrong here?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i would screed it with sand and cement. 35mm depth is ok a normal sand cement screed is 25mm.

i would use grit sand and 1:6 mix with plastiser to maximise the flexibility in the mortar. i would also probably lay in 2 go's to minimise the shrinkage.

i feel you could also use concrete and trowel out any large aggregate to feather in to the existing.

i would try to leave the screed 3 to 5mm below finished level to enable finishing with self leveller (would use the latex type in 25kg bags).

i am struggling on the dpm as i would apply tanking before the levelling. the thk part of the screed would certainly hold down a plastic dpm if bedded on a thin bed of mortar. it may just work though.

would put a new post out on the dpm to be sure. if push comes to shove you could leave out and put foam underlay with integral dpm down before laminate flooring.

to thin for sand cement and yes stopgap deep section(600) will do it for you. You will need to install liquid dpm on the subfloor first and then prime with stopgap 131 , before laying. You might get a good finish o.k for tiles but i dought it. For a final finish you need to use stopgap 100, 200 or 300 of the top of my head. Give f-ball a phone to see what they say. But you need to do it tomorrow as there tech team will be germany for a week after tomorrow ( wednesday )

ultra self leveller will also go up to 50mm in one pour and will give you a smooth finish. its reasonably priced as well. check out instarmac website for details.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the info, a great help.

Another quick question. Does anyone know where I can buy Liquid DPC online for postal delivery?

Tobybuk,

Hi, I have the same problem and was wondering which soloution you used? Did you use a liquid dpm or sheet?? And also how did you get the floor level?
Hope you dont mind me asking

regards

matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back