Tricky internal condensate pipe routing - 25m?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for advice/opinions on installing tricky internal condensate pipe routing for a new boiler to replace an old non-condensing unit. Been losing sleep over this...

The property is an old warehouse converted flat, making things fun. External routing isn't possible for a range of reasons (incl. modification of building exterior and technical infeasibility).

The best internal route I've come up so far (with the help of 3 heating engineers, 1 of whom is crazy enough to give it a stab) would need to be pumped vertically up approx. 3m (to high ceiling) from the boiler then along a ceiling architrave through main living area approx. 10m horizontal, turn a right angle (L-shape room) then run for another 5m along more ceiling architrave horizontal, then around/through a plastered 80cm wide brick support pillar (most of the fun) into a void above the kitchen, then vertical down 3 metres into the kitchen sink area/main gravity waste pipe.

Most of this pipework I can conceal in the architrave/void but I believe some around the pillar (if possible to traverse) is likely to be visible which is displeaing to me but seems the least-worst option.

The total run needed would be approx. 25m. I'm curious about:

1. Whether having long horizontal sections (in architrave) that I cannot slope for aesthetic reasons will cause drainage problems. I know external runs need sloping to avoid freezing but not sure if internal is the same. Due to the sheer length here, quite a lot of fluid would be retained inside the pipe.
2. Anecdotally the likelihood of this pipe having leaks/drainage problems i.e. water into my living area.
3. Noise of condensate fluid flow/pump, again due to runnnig through living area.

Under wooden floor is another option. This would be more direct (approx. 13-14m horizontal also) but involves destruction of 800 sq/ft of solid oak flooring in otherwise good condition i.e. costly to replace and even more so should it leak into my downstairs neighbour's flat ceiling.

Relocating the boiler to the kitchen has a similar problem of wood floor destruction for the gas/ch pipes and also requires cutting the exterior brickwork for a new flue (again a no-no). So ruled out.

Any opinions/experience gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
As its pumped you can get away with horizontal runs where you couldnt/shouldn't with a gravity fed system.

The pipe from most condensate pumps is quite narrow and typically you wouldn't hear the water flowing through it, but after the pump stops depending on where abouts it transitions back to drain pipe from the condensate flex you may get noise from water/air movement

The engineer would need to check with the pump manufacturer on maximum length the pump could deal with also, it will state clearly the height it can pump to, but then to overcome the resistance of a long length of narrow pipework may cause premature/repeated failures of the pump so one thing worth checking out first

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back