Tricky washing machine plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, I'm trying to hook up the plumbing for a washing machine and I need a little advice as it's not as straight forward as I would have thought. I also have little to no experience with this sort of thing.

The issue is that the water intake pipe supplied with the washing machine isn't long enough to reach the cold water supply. I think have to loop the cold water supply back around (180 degrees) toward the washing machine by using a couple of right angle fittings and some pipe. I hope the attached image (click to enlarge) makes things clearer. Would this be the correct way of going about it?

Right now I have:

1 half inch elbow 315 fitting
2 inserts
plastic pipe
water valve (not sure of the correct name for this but it's in the picture)
spigot trap

I think I might need:

2 half inch elbow 315 fittings
4/5 inserts (not sure if one is required for the area running directly from the cold water pipe that is currently capped off - see picture for more)
plastic pipe
water valve
spigot trap

Also, I'm a little confused by how the elbow fitting secures the pipe. When I fit them together (as in the photo) they are not secure and they slide apart with ease. Do I need something else to secure them together? Or perhaps the brass ring gets buckled when tightened and presses into the insert?

One other thing - this time about the spigot trap. There is a little indent about 1 millimetre from the end of the outlet that is less than a millimetre deep and runs the circumference of the spigot. I assume this is the point at which I saw off and then further up I attach a jubilee clip to secure the waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
You mean the washing machine pipe (which I gather is actually called a hose)? I've not been able to find anything over 1.5m. Though I'll admit that I've not looked beyond the large home improvement stores - B&Q etc.

Perhaps I could make my own by getting a suitable length of hose (not sure what this would be called) and attaching the appropriate ends to it. But I don't see any obvious advantage in this.

Can you explain what I would need to extend the hose?

Sponsored Links
Washing machine fill hoses are available in 3 metre lengths.....would that be long enough?
A greater issue is the drain hose, which should rise to the height of the machine, and then gradually descend into the trap.
The couplings you mention are called compression type, where a brass or copper olive is compressed onto its copper pipe, providing the water seal.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back