Tried to regrout bathroom floor twice and both times been a disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My upstairs bathroom floor tiles are an absolute mess, we're putting the house on the market so wanted to try and tidy it up a bit. I twice tried to re-grout using some no nonsense stuff for floor tiles. Basically I removed what I could of the old stuff, mixed up the new and left for about 13 hours the 1st time and 25 hours the 2nd and both times have been an absolute disaster. The grout has all either came out or went a bad colour

I've took a bad job and made it worse. I'm looking for some advice on where I'm maybe going wrong here. It's the only room in the house we never decorated when we moved in and to be honest it's pretty grim but as it stands just now I wouldn't even think of showing people this floor, so anything I can do cheaply to take thebbad look off would be much appreciated.
20220608_233750.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forget the no nonsense stuff.
Remove all the grout you can, hoover properly, then use mapei or bal grout of the colour of your choice.
Now the important bits:
Read the mixing instructions on the bag!
Use a scale to mix it to the correct ratio as per instructions.
Read ALL the instructions!
After you mix, grout needs to rest 2 minutes then mixed one last time.
Then use a grouting float and push the grout into those grooves.
With a damp sponge clean the main part of the tiles as you go but do not touch the grout.
Then it's a waiting game which depends on many factors.
Once the grout starts setting to a hardish consistency but not totally off (anything between 20 minutes and an hour), use a damp grouting sponge to smooth it.
Rinse the sponge frequently.
The tiles will have a haze on them once finished but no grout residue.
Next day polish the tiles with the hard part of the grouting sponge (dry) or a towel (dry).
Do not wash the tiles for a few days, preferably a week.

Forget the no nonsense stuff.
Remove all the grout you can, hoover properly, then use mapei or bal grout of the colour of your choice.
Now the important bits:
Read the mixing instructions on the bag!
Use a scale to mix it to the correct ratio as per instructions.
Read ALL the instructions!
After you mix, grout needs to rest 2 minutes then mixed one last time.
Then use a grouting float and push the grout into those grooves.
With a damp sponge clean the main part of the tiles as you go but do not touch the grout.
Then it's a waiting game which depends on many factors.
Once the grout starts setting to a hardish consistency but not totally off (anything between 20 minutes and an hour), use a damp grouting sponge to smooth it.
Rinse the sponge frequently.
The tiles will have a haze on them once finished but no grout residue.
Next day polish the tiles with the hard part of the grouting sponge (dry) or a towel (dry).
Do not wash the tiles for a few days, preferably a week.
Sorry only just see this reply (email went to spam for some reason). Cheers, I actually forgot that the 2nd time I tried I did use mapei however I absolutely mixed it by uneducated judgment which is probably the issue. I'll try what you said and let you know, cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back