trigger relay current draw

It's difficult to say what is going on from what you describe. You would normally only need to use relays if you're going over the switching current capacity of the panel output (most bell/strobe outputs will have a maximum rating, usually around 500ma)

Using relays, I would be connecting the 12v supply to the relay to the panel 12v supply, then the 0v supply to the relay to which ever output you want to trigger that particular relay (bell output for instance)

Then, you would use the aux power supply to feed whatever you want (additional sounders etc), switching the negatives of these sounders via the N/O of the relay contact. Connect the relay common contact to the 0v on the aux power supply and you have totally isolated it from the control panel, so that the panel is powering the relays and the power supply is powering the sounders.
HI, I can understand its difficult to know what is going on without actually seeing it for yourself,Unfortunately I cannot upload pictures, The best way i can describe it, The extra sounders are supplied from the separate power supply (installed next to main panel), The bell and strobe triggers for these sounders are connected to the normally open on the relay contacts respectively, There are two relays, one for the sounders and the other for the strobe, The negative from the power supply is looped through the commons on the relays, This just leave the relay input trigger coil, the positive supply is coming from the psu, and negative supply is coming from the bell and strobe respectively from the panel.

The trigger relays are installed inside the power supply
Hope this is clearer.
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You last paragraph is what is going with the system, the only difference is the positive supply for the relays is coming from the psu and not the panel, the negative supply for the relay is obviously from the panel in order to switch them, All I want to know is if this is causing a big problem?, overloading the panel due to the the relay trigger inputs are connected? if it is then I will immediately remove the psu 12v and replace with the panel 12v to supply the relays.
thanks

I measured the alarm current from the panel, and the draw was fluctuating around the 820-840ma, so I am pleased the panel isn't being overloaded, The connections to the relays seem to have no affect on the panel, Perhaps there was just a bit of miscommunication, In future I will try and include pictures as some things such as this wiring setup would be much clearer and better to understand.

Oh by the way, when measuring alarm current, I take it is in series with the battery and not transformer? I measured the current in series with the battery, does that tell me the alarm overall current?, Have I measured it the correct way? or does it need to be measured from the transformer output?
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back