trimming a doorframe

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I fitted a nice hardwood door, some years ago, into an existing doorframe. The door is not warped.

After a lot of thought, and getting a local joiner to look at it, it is clear the the frame is fixed a bit crooked. Although the door fits perfectly at the hinge stile and along the top, the bottom of the lock stile is about 8mm from the rebate. The latch does not close easily unless you give the door a hefty push (as it is a good door, it does not bend easily). I have a rather expensive mortice locking latch and furniture, which I want to keep. The door is very heavy and I don't want to rehang it and move the gap to the hinge side. The door has not bent to shape (as I hoped it might) with the lock pulling it into the frame.

I toyed with the idea of planing the top of the frame, and the side, so the door would meet there, and so come in further at the bottom (the joiner didn't think it was a good idea). However my power planer won't go close enough to the edge.

If I tried to unscrew the frame from the wall, it looks like I would have to trim the brickwork to move the frame. It is a frame with fixed side glass and I don't really want to try to take it out (I am not much good at woodwork, and very very slow).

In order to get latch operating freely, I am, thinking of taking the staple (lock keep) out, and chiselling its housing 4 mm wider. I would then put some kind of trim or beading on the frame to hide the gap, and meet the door tightly all the way down the lock stile.

Is there a better way? Any other suggs?

Sponsored Links
so one or other off you legs are kicking out by 8mm

have you ckecked with an accurate level as it may be the hinge side at fault or a bit off both

what ever it takes i would move the legs level without touching the surface on the door contact edge

my suggestion would be assuming the door is a good fit remove the door
secure a diagonal brace into the rebate

level legs to the vertical then refix

i am assuming a complete frame if not a cross brace in the rebate and another on the outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back