Triple Pole Isolator - Pull Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking to replace the triple pole isolator switch for the bathroom fan, but would prefer one in the form of a pull cord type as it is quite high up and difficult to reach at the moment.

do these exist?

Sponsored Links
ur right, i should have !

tlc's expensive though, phoned a few local electric wholesalers - got one for £4.89 !!!!

as it is quite high up and difficult to reach at the moment.
Does that matter?
It's an isolator - intended to be used once a century when cleaning the fan or when it breaks etc.
Certainly not for switching it on and off on a daily basis.

Sponsored Links
as it is quite high up and difficult to reach at the moment.
Does that matter?
It's an isolator - intended to be used once a century when cleaning the fan or when it breaks etc.
Certainly not for switching it on and off on a daily basis.

Unfortunately it does matter - wind rushes through the hole in the wall where the fan is. Also, with the current weather, everytime you switch the light on, all the warm air is sucked out - not very nice when you want to have a bath etc.

With a more accessible switch, at least I will be able to switch the fan off as and when required and cover it with a vent cover to stop at least some of the cold air getting in during colder months.

1) Get a proper shutter for outside.

2) Consider a humidistat fan rather than one which comes on just because the lights are on.

3) Why is the air outside the bathroom cold?

1) Get a proper shutter for outside.

2) Consider a humidistat fan rather than one which comes on just because the lights are on.

3) Why is the air outside the bathroom cold?

Could do those, but

1) The bathroom is on the 1st floor and I don't have a ladder to get up that high to install a shutter on the outside.

2) Those are expensive.

3) The bathroom is heated with a towel rail (and is set to a higher temperature) rather than a radiator. Unfortunately this means that incoming air takes a lot longer to warm and so leaves the bathroom colder if the fan is switched on.

I'm just trying to get this done in the easiest way possible with the least amount of money being spent.

Is it permissable to have a pull cord isolator in the bathroom itself ? I'm guessing thats it's also something that I'd have to inform the local authority about as it's dealing with electrics in the bathroom? But would it be permissable?

Is it permissable to have a pull cord isolator in the bathroom itself ? I'm guessing thats it's also something that I'd have to inform the local authority about as it's dealing with electrics in the bathroom? But would it be permissable?
Permitted - yes, and you would have to notify.
You could also have a normal pull cord switch for the extractor and not have it connected to the lights at all.

However - the most likely result of an easily accessible switch for the fan is that it is turned off and never used. You will then have condensation and mould everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back