Tripped Switch - upstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I wonder if someone can help me.

I switched the bedroom lights on the other day and the chandelier lights bulbs blew and tripped the switch to the upstairs lights. I reset the switch to on, and it stays on, but the lights do not work upstairs.

From reading I can gather that I need to test:

1) power to switches
2) power to ceiling rose
3) change light bulbs

But any other advice would be great.

Also, would the circuit breaker need replacing?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The first place to check is to see if there is mains voltage coming out of the MCB (trip switch)

You'll need a test meter to do this.

It is possible, although unlikely, that the MCB is faulty but that's th first place to check.

Don';t go changing light bulbs. I cannot believe that every light bulb upstairs has gone poop at the same time ;)

Thank you.

I have the the test meter prongs that light up if there is power when you touch two wires. Is this what you mean?

Also, how do I test the MCB, as I have looked at pulling the switch out (whilst power off) and it doesnt seem to come out?

Cheers

I am assuming that you a circuit breaker (MCB) and not a rewireable fuse?

If so, they do not pull out as they are clipped in and also screwed to the LIVE busbar at the bottom.

To test, carefully, one prod of your tester on the neutral busbar and one prod to the screw that you can see on the front at the top of the MCB.

The tester should show about 230volts, That will prove that the MCB is switched on.

If you see power there then the problem is elsewhere,

Sponsored Links
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a plastic consumer unit with mcb's for each circuit that looked like their clipped in.

Not sure what you mean by busbar. Do I need to take off the plastic cover or something?

yea undo that cover by turning those screws a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and then press the probe into the top screw of the mcb, this should light up your tester.

If it doesnt touch the other probe onto the earth or neutral bars at the top of the consumer unit

If you meter has more than one mode make sure, and then make sure it's set to voltage before you touch anything with either probe

aha....cool :cool:

I will post back my findings tomorrow!

Cheers guys, you've been very helpful.

Whats wrong with this picture?

We have someone here totally unfamiliar with the internals of a CU, who probably does not have GS38 compliant test equipment, and we're advising him to remove the cover of a CU which may not have a busbar shield and start poking around inside.

Whats wrong with this picture?

We have someone here totally unfamiliar with the internals of a CU, who probably does not have GS38 compliant test equipment, and we're advising him to remove the cover of a CU which may not have a busbar shield and start poking around inside.

My thoughts exactly bas.

Taking the cover off the CU will not help if you don't know how to use this tester or understand what the results tell you. Put it away and call in someone.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back