TRIPPING !

Sponsored Links
Daj, have you ever considered that you may well have invited the stick you get on this forum? You were given good advice in previous threads yet you went ahead and badly designed your kitchen circuits (I judge badly based on your very own description) You also trivialise the building regulation requirements which are there to save lives/property even if not perfect, then you suggest that self certification is a done deal after three weeks training.

What job do you do? Did you train for three weeks for it? Many people on this forum make their living (pay their mortgage, feed their kids) from installing electrics professionally. Don't put them and me down!

Daj, have you ever considered that you may well have invited the stick you get on this forum? You were given good advice in previous threads yet you went ahead and badly designed your kitchen circuits (I judge badly based on your very own description) You also trivialise the building regulation requirements which are there to save lives/property even if not perfect, then you suggest that self certification is a done deal after three weeks training.

What job do you do? Did you train for three weeks for it? Many people on this forum make their living (pay their mortgage, feed their kids) from installing electrics professionally. Don't put them and me down!

You've got kids?????? When do you get time to breed, when you're constantly making love to your keyboard here!!!

Sponsored Links
Daj, you have already lost- give it up man!. You are truly looking a bit silly. You became irrational several posts back. My best advice to you is get off the forum. Sign up under a different name and ask for help on your electrics in a professional, polite manner. Do this before your installation does actually catch fire.

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
Daj, you have already lost- give it up man!. You are truly looking a bit silly. You became irrational several posts back. My best advice to you is get off the forum. Sign up under a different name and ask for help on your electrics in a professional, polite manner. Do this before your installation does actually catch fire.

OK mate, joking over - My question WAS posted in a professional manner, but, as always on this bl***y site, non-electricians are pounced on and building regs, part P through to Z, are shoved down your throat. "Shouldn't be doing this" and "shouldn't be doing that"! What is the point of a forum if the best answer is "call a qualified electrician" - doh!

I have been a PD for over 20 years and I've employed electricians, plumbers etc., good and bad - some know what they're doing and some don't, but ALL were qualified! I've had work signed off which shouldn't have been and vice versa. One things for sure, theres good and bad in all professions and qualifications, AND the lack of them, can be abused - and are!

I am pretty sure that my issues are related to earth leakage as the tripping is not immediate nor that consistant. I'm not overly concerned as I'll simply do away with the RCBO.

Anyway - 'nuff' said.

I am pretty sure that my issues are related to earth leakage as the tripping is not immediate nor that consistant. I'm not overly concerned as I'll simply do away with the RCBO.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. Do you have an insulation tester? If so then remove the earth, neutral and live from the CU. Also disconnect the cooker. With the insulation tester on the 500 volt scale test between:

1) live-earth
2) neutral-earth
3) and just in case - between Live Neutral.

you are looking for a reading above 200 MOhms (because this is new wiring)

Again, make sure cooker is disconnected but make sure cooker switch is on position.

Now you mentioned that the RCBO tripped after a while (after the oven was on for a while) Could your oven have a fault? Can you get the manufacturer/retailer to come and test that for you?

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
What is the point of a forum if the best answer is "call a qualified electrician" - doh!

That is not an unreasonable point. Despite my limited time on the forum I believe there is a way to get your questions answered comprehensively.

It may be worth you re-reading your posts, reflecting upon them and see if there is another way to "manage" any resistance. In most cases anyone offering resistance means well and is trying to give you good advice. I have seen those very same people provide excellent in-depth support via the forum. Don't think of it as a battle but as a negotiation :idea:

I've had work signed off which shouldn't have been and vice versa.

Did you have that bad work re-done of left as bad but signed off as being acceptable ? The honest answer to that will say a lot about you and your attitude to safety.

I'm not overly concerned as I'll simply do away with the RCBO. Anyway - 'nuff' said.

Yes enough said, your attitude to safety is clear to see from that statement about the RCBO.

Forums can provide information, they cannot impart skills into a DIYer and sometime information alone is not enough.

I've had work signed off which shouldn't have been and vice versa.

Did you have that bad work re-done of left as bad but signed off as being acceptable ? The honest answer to that will say a lot about you and your attitude to safety.

I'm not overly concerned as I'll simply do away with the RCBO. Anyway - 'nuff' said.

Yes enough said, your attitude to safety is clear to see from that statement about the RCBO.

Forums can provide information, they cannot impart skills into a DIYer and sometime information alone is not enough.

NOT that you need to know; but yes the work was rectified in all cases. The work was carried out by a "QUALIFIED" electricain on several of my properties and then found to be dangerous by ME (un qualified!). I then paid another "qualified" electrician to put it all right. I took the first electrician to the small claims court - he didn't show and I got judgement (still trying to get paid though).

As you may, or may not know, an oven/cooker don't have to be fed via an RCBO! (or so I was informed by a "qualified" electrician).

It seems you too have joined the ranks of of "if you're not an electrician, leave it alone" mob! Good luck with that!

TO EVERYONE ELSE...

I am not an electrician - if you are able and willing to help me on this post, THANKS, if you're neither willing, nor able - PLEASE go away and play somewhere else as I am fully aware of your opinions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back