TRIPPING !

Do you have an insulation tester? If so then remove the earth, neutral and live from the CU. Also disconnect the cooker. With the insulation tester on the 500 volt scale test between:

1) live-earth
2) neutral-earth
3) and just in case - between Live Neutral.

you are looking for a reading above 200 MOhms (because this is new wiring)

Again, make sure cooker is disconnected but make sure the cooker wall switch is on position.

Now you mentioned that the RCBO tripped after a while (after the oven was on for a while) Could your oven have a fault? Can you get the manufacturer/retailer to come and test that for you?

Daj, have you done this yet?

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician
The you should never, ever, EVER have got anywhere near as far down the line with your stupid incompetent bungling as you have.

- if you are able and willing to help me on this post, THANKS, if you're neither willing, nor able
Nobody is able to help you - you are a f***wit of the first water.

- PLEASE go away and play somewhere else as I am fully aware of your opinions!
Be aware of this - you are the one who should go away.

DAJ

If you had asked for the answers to your query, without adding any further information which was requested, with this attitude from a couple of electricians you happened to have met in a pub; do you think the response would have been -

a: unlimited help and agreement with your ignorant assertions or -
b: a smack in the mouth.

Sponsored Links
DAJ

If you had asked for the answers to your query, without adding any further information which was requested, with this attitude from a couple of electricians you happened to have met in a pub; do you think the response would have been -

a: unlimited help and agreement with your ignorant assertions or -
b: a smack in the mouth.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT - This was my question...
I have just installed a complete new kitchen including double fan oven (5.4kw), hob (6.4kw), griddle (1.4kw), steam oven (1.5kw), plate warmer (1kw), microwave (.9kw), fridge and freezer.

ONE. 6m of 10mm cable run from a 40 amp RCBO (at the moment) in the CU to a 60 amp 3 terminal junction box. From the junction box I have a further 5m of 10mm cable running to a 45amp cooker switch and socket. The switch operates the double oven via 6mm cable and the socket has the microwave plugged into it (via a 13amp fused plug). Also wired into the junction box, is the hob via the supplied cable (six core heatproof flex).

TWO. The steam oven, plate warmer, fridge and freezer are wired in a 32 amp (RCBO) ring each fed from a 13 amp fused spur.

THREE. The griddle, gas hob ignition, waterproof TV (12v DC via transformer) and 3 double gang wall sockets are also wired in a 32 amp (RCBO) ring.

I have completed all of the wiring, nothing grouped, all clipped etc.

I have fitted and wired the double oven (not the hob), BUT! When the oven reaches about 180 degrees, the RCBO trips. In addition, when the grill is turned on, the RCBO trips after about 2-3 minutes. I can only assume that the issue is the length of cable used as I calculate that the oven is 23.48 amps! As the total amps will equate to 51.30 when the hob is wired too, would a 50 amp RCBO be OK to replace the 40 amp RCBO and would it resolve the tripping problem?

THANKS!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=280563&start=0#ixzz1QvrvVjLe

I am not an electrician
The you should never, ever, EVER have got anywhere near as far down the line with your stupid incompetent bungling as you have.

- if you are able and willing to help me on this post, THANKS, if you're neither willing, nor able
Nobody is able to help you - you are a f***wit of the first water.

- PLEASE go away and play somewhere else as I am fully aware of your opinions!
Be aware of this - you are the one who should go away.

Talking of f***wits, hows you mum?

Do you have an insulation tester? If so then remove the earth, neutral and live from the CU. Also disconnect the cooker. With the insulation tester on the 500 volt scale test between:

1) live-earth
2) neutral-earth
3) and just in case - between Live Neutral.

you are looking for a reading above 200 MOhms (because this is new wiring)

Again, make sure cooker is disconnected but make sure the cooker wall switch is on position.

Now you mentioned that the RCBO tripped after a while (after the oven was on for a while) Could your oven have a fault? Can you get the manufacturer/retailer to come and test that for you?

Daj, have you done this yet?

Hi Sparkticus - nice to hear from you mate (nice to hear from anyone with a kind word on here to be honest).

In answer to your question, no, not yet. I won't be home until Wednesday. I intend to carry out the tests on Thursday.

Thanks a lot for the interest and help Sparkticus mate, much appreciated!

Hi DAJ, Still having fun with electricity I see :D

What happened to the photographs you had intended to post of your previous work?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267841&start=0[/QUOTE]

Need to find myself a "QUALIFIED" photographer mate! Can you imagine what would happen if I took some photgraphs without the correct training and bits of paper! You lot would f***ing linch me!

You do not have to be qualified to take photographs - experienced maybe and have the ability to get the right angles and focus yes - but no qualifications needed. So Please may we have photographs of your installation - please!

As has been said before you do not have to be qualified to rewire your house - competent definitely - but qualified no. All you need to do is to prove to the Local Authority Building Control that your work is up to the standards set by BS7671 and that it meets all your legal requirements under Part P and others.

unfortunatley, you seem to be unwilling to put your competence to the test by speaking to the LA - is this because you are not confident, or is it because you are not competent. Only you can tell.

We can only judge your competency on the work you say you have done, the questions you ask and the responses you give to the questions we ask. With the myriad of questions you have asked this and other forums on this site you have yet to demonstrate any level of competency or even humility. Remember even we get stuff wrong occassionally.

What happened to the photographs you had intended to post of your previous work?

Need to find myself a "QUALIFIED" photographer mate! Can you imagine what would happen if I took some photgraphs without the correct training and bits of paper! You lot would f***ing linch me!

You do not have to be qualified to take photographs - experienced maybe and have the ability to get the right angles and focus yes - but no qualifications needed. So Please may we have photographs of your installation - please!

As has been said before you do not have to be qualified to rewire your house - competent definitely - but qualified no. All you need to do is to prove to the Local Authority Building Control that your work is up to the standards set by BS7671 and that it meets all your legal requirements under Part P and others.

unfortunatley, you seem to be unwilling to put your competence to the test by speaking to the LA - is this because you are not confident, or is it because you are not competent. Only you can tell.

We can only judge your competency on the work you say you have done, the questions you ask and the responses you give to the questions we ask. With the myriad of questions you have asked this and other forums on this site you have yet to demonstrate any level of competency or even humility. Remember even we get stuff wrong occassionally.

SUPERB ANSWER MATE! Everything you have said makes sense and I agree with you. I have considered, many times, obtaining the "bits of paper" I have mentioned, and am now considering them even more.

The only issue I have with "qualified" electricians on here is that none seem to be able to be civil (yourself and a couple of others excluded). I have no problem with taking critism but I obviously take offence if that critiicism is delivered in an ofeensive manner.

Thanks for your criticism and the way, correctly, you gave it. I have taken it on board and I will pursue the matter further as soon as I can justify the funds needed.

Here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267841&start=0 the things you said made it quite obvious that you did not have the necessary competence to be doing the work you were doing.

Later, when you came with tales of woe, and someone pointed out the fact that if you really were competent you wouldn't be asking the questions you were, your reply was
OH DEAR - here we go! Blar, blar,blar!

And you're doing the same here:

He clearly has made mistakes in not designing the kitchen circuits well (almost 12 KW on a single circuit when he could have discriminated with separate hob/oven) He appears to lack the ability to think logically with regard to technical challenges and seems a little confused about cable length somehow being the cause of the RCBO trip.
HOW BORING...

Why are you bored by hearing your competence questioned? Is it something that happens all the time to you?

When people try to explain in reasoned terms why you are viewed as incompetent, how do you react?
Daj, have you ever considered that you may well have invited the stick you get on this forum? You were given good advice in previous threads yet you went ahead and badly designed your kitchen circuits (I judge badly based on your very own description) You also trivialise the building regulation requirements which are there to save lives/property even if not perfect, then you suggest that self certification is a done deal after three weeks training.

What job do you do? Did you train for three weeks for it? Many people on this forum make their living (pay their mortgage, feed their kids) from installing electrics professionally. Don't put them and me down!

You've got kids?????? When do you get time to breed, when you're constantly making love to your keyboard here!!!

As you yourself say, you are not an electrician, but not being one does not mean that it's OK to work to lower standards than one.

Checked with meter today and it seems there IS a neutral/earth fault on the lighting circuit. Must've been like it for years 'n' years!
That means you installed the CU without testing first, without testing afterwards, and without issuing an EIC.

Nobody here gives a stuff what you think about that - the fact is it means you are incompetent. And arguing that you really are does nothing but emphasis the fact that you don't even know what being competent entails.

And until you accept the fact that you really are incompetent, you'll never do anything to rectify that.

Oh, come on, no need to be so bashful. I'm imagine you may be competent enough to take a photograph or two. Even if you're not, why not just av'a'go, its not like you are going to set fire to your house or anything, is it? :D

Here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267841&start=0 the things you said made it quite obvious that you did not have the necessary competence to be doing the work you were doing.

Later, when you came with tales of woe, and someone pointed out the fact that if you really were competent you wouldn't be asking the questions you were, your reply was
OH DEAR - here we go! Blar, blar,blar!

And you're doing the same here:

He clearly has made mistakes in not designing the kitchen circuits well (almost 12 KW on a single circuit when he could have discriminated with separate hob/oven) He appears to lack the ability to think logically with regard to technical challenges and seems a little confused about cable length somehow being the cause of the RCBO trip.
HOW BORING...

Why are you bored by hearing your competence questioned? Is it something that happens all the time to you?

When people try to explain in reasoned terms why you are viewed as incompetent, how do you react?
Daj, have you ever considered that you may well have invited the stick you get on this forum? You were given good advice in previous threads yet you went ahead and badly designed your kitchen circuits (I judge badly based on your very own description) You also trivialise the building regulation requirements which are there to save lives/property even if not perfect, then you suggest that self certification is a done deal after three weeks training.

What job do you do? Did you train for three weeks for it? Many people on this forum make their living (pay their mortgage, feed their kids) from installing electrics professionally. Don't put them and me down!

You've got kids?????? When do you get time to breed, when you're constantly making love to your keyboard here!!!

As you yourself say, you are not an electrician, but not being one does not mean that it's OK to work to lower standards than one.

Checked with meter today and it seems there IS a neutral/earth fault on the lighting circuit. Must've been like it for years 'n' years!
That means you installed the CU without testing first, without testing afterwards, and without issuing an EIC.

Nobody here gives a stuff what you think about that - the fact is it means you are incompetent. And arguing that you really are does nothing but emphasis the fact that you don't even know what being competent entails.

And until you accept the fact that you really are incompetent, you'll never do anything to rectify that.

MAN-O-MAN ! Your cage has truly been rattled mate hasn't it. You must've spent ages composing that little group of evidence! Well done!

Like I said pal - get a life!

A shocking death would end the incompetence. ( unless of course they have electricity on " the other side "..)

Maybe they do, maybe lightning is the result of a DIYer's celestrial incompetence

MAN-O-MAN ! Your cage has truly been rattled mate hasn't it. You must've spent ages composing that little group of evidence! Well done!

Like I said pal - get a life!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back