triton electric shower not working

230 x 45.65 = 10500
Name a cheap shower unit that's rated at 10.5kW at 230V.

You won't be able to. You won't even be able to name an expensive one.

Even if you could, it doesn't change the fact that it would be very rarely installed, therefore Agile's claim:

I could repair a shower but the reality is that many fail because the input connections cannot stand the current.

Many of the cheap shower units I see have miniscule terminals and conductors to carry 45A.
is misleading nonsense.

Sponsored Links
The Chuckle Brothers have gone very quiet, so it seems that they can't find a cheap shower that would draw 45A.

nicola1101 - you should be able to find a local repairer who can easily fix your shower unit. It can be done by an amateur, with guidance, but that person would need electrical competence to work safely on the shower unit with the cover off.

I've just had exactly the same problem as the original question at the start of this thread. I thought at first it could be cheaper just to replace the shower than have an expensive call out and repair bill. And I was thinking about cheap models before anyone jumps on that - I intend to fully replace my bathroom in the next couple of years anyway.

So I googled replacing existing shower - figuring since the pipework and electrics were already in place it might not be that big a deal. So when I found this thread, this answer

Goldberg";p="1306641 said:
nicola1101 - the most likely cause is a failed solenoid
valve, but it could also be a loose connection.
If you reveal the model of the shower unit then
it will be easier to help you.

Don't take any notice of people who say it's cheaper
to fit a new shower - this is hardly ever true.
quote]

and this one
solenoid valve has failed....

plumbers that won't repair electric showers because they are unsure how to diagnose faults with them or they are out for an easy job and make a few quid.

as for the cost of parts most my customers are over the moon if i can fix their electric shower as in solenoid valve for the sake of £15 rather than
write their shower off and buy/install a new one and give them a £200 bill.

got me thinking... A punt on a £15 part which is according to 2 sources the most likeley cause could save me the cost of a plumber and /or a replacement shower. So I sourced the part, found (elsewhere on this forum i think) how to replace it and 2 days later I have a working shower again for £18 incl postage. Parts of it were fiddly but never really difficult.

So I'd like to say thanks for the informed answers right at the start of the thread, however...... the 3 pages full of cock dangling point scoring one upmanship that followed were, whilst unintentionally amusing, almost no use whatsoever to the original question. All I needed to take from any of it was the need to match the wattage if i did decide to go for a replacement, the 'prove what you know', 'no you do', 'no you said the stupid thing' competition about who could calculate amps or name a shower was utterly ridiculous and beside the point. You completely forgot there was a customer in search of an answer and got lost down a side alley of your own making.

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about plumbing or electrics but I had two Triton showers, after replacing the first one that stopped working with another one. That one stopped working too just outside of the guarantee so I avoided Triton after that. However if someone can fix it for £15 then I would give it a go first. If it still packs up then try another make. :rolleyes:

haha yeah it was but I'll let you have that. i'm not claiming any expertise here. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back