triton electric shower not working

Sponsored Links
No, about 42A.

Do you have any clever observations about the other one? Is it cheap enough, and the right colour?

Don't make the presumption that you are the only electrically qualified person on this forum; there are plenty of us here.

No, about 42A.
It isn't 42A, but even if it was, why did you even mention a 9.5kW shower when the question was about 45A showers? In fact, why did you answer the question when it was directed at Agile?

Do you have any clever observations about the other one? Is it cheap enough, and the right colour?
You haven't listed even one cheap shower that will draw 45A, and whatever point you're trying to make isn't relevant.

Don't make the presumption that you are the only electrically qualified person on this forum
I made no such presumption. I was merely challenging Agile's mistaken observation about melted terminals.

there are plenty of us here.
Well then, if you're one of them, why can't you correctly calculate the loading?

Many of the cheap shower units I see have miniscule terminals and conductors to carry 45A.

45A needs about 10 mm² to safely carry the current

You don't sound competent enough with electricity to be advising people on power dissipation.

Can you name a cheap shower unit that draws 45A?

What current do you imagine a 10.5 kW electric shower takes?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Can you name a cheap shower unit that draws 45A?
What current do you imagine a 10.5 kW electric shower takes?
If you can't name such a shower, then why did you try to make people believe that you could?

To answer your question, which seems quite generous since you didn't answer mine - I don't imagine a loading, I calculate it.

Goldberg wrote:

You haven't listed even one cheap shower that will draw 45A, and whatever point you're trying to make isn't relevant.

Yes I have, and it was £89.00 - I thought that met the definition of a cheap electric shower. Are you wearing your glasses today?

The point I am now making is that Agile is an ex RF broadcast engineer, so if I need to choose between his electrical knowledge, mine, or yours, you come a very poor bottom.

If anybody is thinking about taking you seriously, I suggest a quick scan of your earlier posts.

You are a vindictive man of straw, a forum is the only place you could masquerade as an expert, but you have made a poor job of that already.

Then what current do you calculate a 10.5 kW shower will take?

Tony

I think we both know what he has done Tony.

Let's see if he owns up to it :evil:

I dont know what he has done nor why he is making such a fuss about it.

As I dont deal with showers nor do I know exactly how they specify the operating voltage. I can only expect that they rate them at 230v as thats the nominal supply voltage ( +/- 10% ) although the reality is the the voltage drop on th supply cable usually results in an applied voltage of well less than 220v at the input terminals.

Tony

Yes I have, and it was £89.00 - I thought that met the definition of a cheap electric shower.
None of the showers you listed will draw 45A.

Are you wearing your glasses today?
I don't see any need for that kind of comment, especially since it's you and Agile who have got this wrong.

The point I am now making is that Agile is an ex RF broadcast engineer, so if I need to choose between his electrical knowledge, mine, or yours, you come a very poor bottom.
This has nothing to do with RF broadcasting, but if you're implying that he's overqualified in this context, then it's even more surprising that he's got this wrong.

If anybody is thinking about taking you seriously, I suggest a quick scan of your earlier posts.
It might interest you to know that I've generally found your posts to be authoritative, accurate and informative. However, on this topic you're maily being abusive.

But none of that matters. Neither you nor Agile have managed to name a cheap electric shower that will draw 45A. And even if you found even one, there certainly aren't many, therefore such a shower isn't the commonplace cause of melted terminals.

You are a vindictive man of straw, a forum is the only place you could masquerade as an expert, but you have made a poor job of that already.
You're entitled to your opinion and your conjecture. I would rather stick to the point, which is that Agile gave very misleading information, and neither you nor he can back it up with facts and calculations.

The supply system in the UK has been nominally 230v since 2004. Using this you get a current rating of a smidgen over 45A.

If you erroneously calculate the current rating of the shower using the old nominal 240v (as someone might who is a barrack room electrician) you get a result just under 45A.

Volts x Amps = watts

230 x 45.65 = 10500

Over to you for your calculation, Mr Goldberg.

Tony

Why dont you want to answer that question?

If you answered it then we might know exactly what your point really is.

You are labouring about a "cheap shower". I can only think that you are pretending that a "cheap shower" is not a 10.5 kW shower.

Since I dont know how you define in your mind "cheap" then until you explain yourself accurately we cannot understand what you are trying to say.

Tony

I dont know what he has done nor why he is making such a fuss about it.
You're the one who's making a fuss. If you simply admit that you were wrong, or stop denying it, then that'll be the end of it.

It's obvious that you don't deal with showers, but you certainly tried to give the impression that you deal with them a lot.

It's also obvious that you don't know how they're rated, but you certainly tried to give the impression that you knew.

I don't know why you expect that the voltage drop with 45A on 10mm² cable would be 10V/230V. That's ludicrously inaccurate - even at 50m of cable the drop wouldn't be 10V. No matter how qualified simond thinks you are, it's obvious that he's overestimated your abilities.

Why dont you want to answer that question?
I already know the answer - I want you to admit that you don't.

I don't know why you don't know what my point is, as I stated it very clearly - you gave misleading advice/information. It's you who continued harping on about it, and denying it, and hiding behind simond.

As for the word "cheap", you introduced it, not me, so you must know what you meant by that.

Since you claim not to understand what I'm saying, I'll repeat it:

You were wrong.
You are not competent.
You don't know showers are rated.
You don't have any facts to substantiate your wrong and misleading advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back