Triton handwash update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New hand wash, 2nd one as first was swooped with similar problem which is that when switched on ,even on cold setting that water heats up within 30 seconds and after about 45 seconds its too hot (this is on setting number 1)
After speaking to triton the spark says its lack of flow
Looked at it tonight and I get 12-14 lts/ minute.removed all pipe work back to stopcock to check for blockages , none found, filter removed, still overheating

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Seco it's the 3kw version
I finally got through to triton today, along with virgin media they must be in the top ten of companies you don't want to phone
The person I spoke to went completely against the opinion of the service person the spark spoke to, as told to me by the client. This person today said that with a flow rate of 12-14lts/min that was more than enough (I had nothing with me to measure pressure)
Their opinion was that at this time of year the temperature of the water out of the ground was higher than normal and although south staffs water probably would not admit it , pressure would be lower than normally expected
Also a hand warmer would not produce cold water , unlike a shower which has a greater range of temperature controls,customer said the old one produced cold water at level 1-2 and warm or hot water as required and so disagreed with that part about not producing cold water
As to why the hand warming unit produced scalding water within 40-45 seconds they said pressure was not the cause, directly conflicting with an earlier opinion

Boss white when you say check the electrics, do you mean that it's an electric water heater so if it won't stop heating water even on the cold settings, then something electrical is not working?
Like a thermostat

Dont know much about them, but the Thermostat sounds a strong possibility,

Maybe switching it on from the mains may have caused a power surge which blew the thermostat circuit of the last heater and this one. Coincidence both suffered the same problem.

As you say 12/14 lts/min is more than enough, this unit only requires about 8 lts/min.Also as said they do produce cold water on about 1/2 setting.

I agree pressure is not the issue, if the pressure was low then it wouldn't heat at all as the m/switch wouldn't be operated.
The heating element on these is constantly on from the min the flow valve is opened, it's just the amount of flow through the unit on setting 1/2 that makes the water cold even though the heating element is still on, soon as the m/switch is activated.

These don't have a thermostat only a tco which if faulty would produce no power to heating element so only cold water would be given.

What is the flow like on 1 turning it gradually to 10
Should be good flow on 1 trickle on 10.
Try this with power off or you could activate the tco.

The unit will still give a flow with power off as these have a manual flow valve not a solenoid coil.

Silly question but the dial is in correct position ie when turned off the dial won't turn past the 12 o clock position.

Also try it with the spray off just the arm on.

Seco the second new unit behaved as expected.
With power off the water reduced to a trickle on hottest setting.
The control knob never went past 12 o clock
I kept the old unit that the new ones replaced and put it back on, the water on minimum went luke warm but stayed at a constant temperature unlike the new units which overheated within 30/40 seconds
The up shot is the old unit stays on and is working. Haven't proved or identified a fault with the new units so none the wiser

Seco the second new unit behaved as expected.
With power off the water reduced to a trickle on hottest setting.
The control knob never went past 12 o clock
I kept the old unit that the new ones replaced and put it back on, the water on minimum went luke warm but stayed at a constant temperature unlike the new units which overheated within 30/40 seconds
On min i can see it being slightly warm due to the temp of the incoming mains water in this weather.

The up shot is the old unit stays on and is working. Haven't proved or identified a fault with the new units so none the wiser

So that proves fault with new unit.

First id be looking at maybe the spray head or spout.
Now the old unit is ok try the new spayhead/spout on from the new unit on the old unit if it then go's straight to hot again you know it's a restricted sprayhead/spout.

If the old unit works why did you fit a new unit ?

On the old unit the spray head was split on both sides and so I used the spray head off the new unit and it worked as expected
The lady of the house was doing up this outhouse/ laundry area replacing wc, whb and the triton hand wash with new for old and until the Problem with the hand wash it had gone very well
It's been a lesson but I've learned a bit more so hey ho
Cheers for your help as usual

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back