Triton Showers problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a strange one ive been told by everyone ive called

had a triton t70xr 8.5kw
The water started running cold like the tco kicked in
after a few days of this happening, three times, the last time it took longer to come back and then only warm
Only half the can heated up, the full power part, with the eco mode ice cold
so either the switch or can had gone bad
So we got a new like for like fit replacement, a t100xr push button

all was well and runs for hrs np on cold and eco 4.5kw
but when on full power 8.5kw it cuts out and stops, with the shower power light going off for a split second
if you press on again it runs for five mins the stops, but if you do it in a morning it lasts ten mins and if you open the cover it lasts 30 mins (keeping the head well away)

People and triton said maybe a bad pcb and caps that dont like heat
so as i needed to sort this asap for medical travel i had, i got a second t100xr and same thing happend, right down to the same time stopping

i asked if they had a batch of bad pcbs but they said no
Given they all run on 4.5kw with the t100xrs cutting power for a second then staying off as they are push button
and the t70xr staying on with only half the can warm as its a dial power on, im not sure its the pcb

the power to can solenoids get hot to burn your finger to on the t100xr

could this be lack of current causing overheat, maybe a bad rcd or pull switch, they look ok

Also, rcd never trips and the pull cord light never goes out

the water pressure is ok too and its not water flow or solenoids as the run on 4.5kw

Has anyone had xp with this before

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As said its the second new shower in 2 days and shower 3
2 new at £180 plus p&p each, so almost £400
where do you get your chips :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As said its the second new shower in 2 days and shower 3
2 new at £180 plus p&p each, so almost £400
where do you get your chips :)
Surely you’d get refunded if a faulty shower though? It does sound a strange one. Have you tested the voltage on them?

Sounds like there could be a supply related issue.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
How is the water pressure?

If there is inadequate flow, the shower will cut back on the power.

Are you using the shower head supplied with the shower (or designed for use with that specific shower), or a third party shower head?

Hi guys thanks your taking the time to help
Andy, i was joking about chips :) this is the two new t100xr's

Ok to cover all replies
i did think water pressure too, but my wife can run the downstairs kitchen hot tap on full while i ran the bath hot tap, cold tap and both sink taps on full and water still came out of the shower with the low pressure light just coming on

when the low pressure light comes on it cuts power to the can, but the shower still runs
I've run it with the head off too and the big flow dial at 1 oclock no1 full flow
normal run is 8.5kw flow dial at 5 oclock, 4kw dial at 8 oclock

Im no electrician, PC's and in the past bikes, but if i remember right something about lack of volts causes things to draw more power causing heat, but this is a shower

all i found was this and it talks about its own power supply...

"The low voltage may very likely cause the equipment internal power supply to try to draw more current, which could result in overheating and possible equipment damage. Anything that contains electronics should not be supplied with voltages lower than the rated input voltage stated on the nameplate."

Thing is it stops with only the shower light going out for a split second, with the pull cord not even blinking

On 8.5kw with the head off and the big flow heat dial at 1 oclock it cuts out and the waters only warm on that setting

Sorry long post but needed to give all info

Question
The device on the out pipe says thermal trip (its just before the hose screws on)
so what is the tco on top of the can
Is that the bit that cuts power or does that protect the can and the other bit protecting you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back